New 80db Speaker option in Marketplace?

@Eric_Crawford-Anton Seems like it is shipped directly from Taiwan.

I wish there was a bit more of a technical discription. While I don’t expect my laptop to be a speaker and would prefer an high end dac/headphone amp or digital audio out I would likely do this if it was clear what the value was.

Received mine in the US, shipped from New Jersey. Initial removal of the original speakers was easy, following the Speaker Replacement Guide. Likewise the reinstall of the new speakers.

Have to play with equalizer settings, because strong bass causes rattling.

Other than that, a 50% volume is now easy to hear. With the original speakers 80% plus was sometimes hard to hear.

1 Like

How were you able to order in the US? Or did I misunderstand about the destination? I want these but they don’t show as available (only “get notified”) and their year-in-review email today stated:

We launched the Speaker Kit - 80dB for those who want a little more loudness. This is currently in stock in Germany, UK, Ireland, Austria, Netherlands, Australia and France only.

Same here. Could definitely use more loudness, but the shipping fee stopped me.

@Michael_Frick, I ordered on December 9, shipped on the 12th, and delivered on the 14th.
It took a couple of days to find the few minutes needed to install

@Edward_Gray but how? :laughing: Like I said, I want them, but they’re not available in the US store and they explicitly stated as much today in their email. :frowning_face:

On 12/9, they were available. Is there some sort of “request notice” button? Perhaps they can let you know when it’s available?

I recently took advantage that feature from a watch store, and happily received an home to the Seiko Orange Monster. Better features, as well.

Ahh, perhaps they just sold out before I ever saw them. Thank you for the update! I took their email/blog message to mean they hadn’t ever been available in the US yet (perhaps still clearing some legal hurdles).

Just got around to installing mine (ordered December 9, 2022, in the US), and I’m pleased. The original speakers were disappointing, but with the 80dB speakers I can see watching a movie or listening to music with the speakers.

The hardest part about installation was dealing with the tape (and it sort of lost its stickiness as I was trying to remove the old wires). I also ended up with about 1.5cm extra slack in the wires connecting the two speakers, so it curled under the WiFi card (but not touching the antenna). Would be nice if speaker kits included replacement tape.

Anyway, I recommend the upgrade! (Anybody have a use for the original speakers?)

3 Likes

While browsing around on YouTube I came across this comparison video: Framework Old Speakers vs. New 80db Speakers Comparison - YouTube

3 Likes

The new ones just sound thinner to me. :astonished: :slightly_frowning_face:

I just added some rubber pads to my standard ones to further reduce any vibration in the speaker casing and transferring to the case.

Wow thanks, this is really useful. Makes me wanna get the new ones more, sounds more clearer and less muted.

1 Like

Well, I got an email last night that these were in stock for US, and I can add to cart, but can’t checkout. :frowning: I guess I was too slow. Too bad there’s no notification now.

1 Like

I asked support about it. It got sold out too fast for the US warehouse.

The rest are in the Taiwan side where the laptops are being assembled, thus the error message.

Just FYI for everyone following this.

2 Likes

I bought the 80dB speaker kit the other day when they were in stock in the US. Just installed them today. The loudness is significantly better and much more usable for anything where you need to clearly hear what a voice is saying. If I had to describe them to someone without knowing the actual numbers I would guess they’re about twice as loud.

The sound quality isn’t better which isn’t a factor for my use case but it might be for some folks considering the upgrade (i.e. louder doesn’t mean better, it means louder). Definitely worth the ~$30 (after shipping) in my opinion for the folks with the volume perpetually at 100% while using the original speakers.

2 Likes

I managed to buy the speakers :smiley: Can’t wait for them to arrive.

3 Likes

Me 2, waiting for shipping. YAY.

1 Like

I also managed to buy the speakers (in the U.S.). Ordered them on 2 February and they arrived today. I just installed them. It took about ten minutes. And they work. I can confirm that they are considerably louder than the originals on my one-year-old Framework (11th generation, batch 6). So far, so good.

Can confirm, Install is very easy! YouTube is WAAY louder than before. 4K movies with full surround are still on the quiet side with only 2 speakers but mid range / voices are louder so hearing people talk is very nice (I would still recommend good headphones if you want the full movie experience though. Basically, not a necessary upgrade but worth the price (as long as you buy something with it to make up for the shipping :stuck_out_tongue: )