Now Available for Pre-order in UK, Germany, and France

Will these preorders be fulfilled in first come first served order?

1 Like

The first batches were shipped on the basis on the configurations ordered.

Similar configurations were shipped as a group.

Currently language settings are tied to shipping country/currency settings. This means it’s very difficult to use the website for people who do not speak the native language of the country in which they reside or want to ship to. Could language and regions be separated that way? Personally I ordered with a shipment address in France, but I don’t speak French, for instance.

This affects not only people trying to ship to a country in which they do not live but also many immigrants, expats, foreign students and so on.

This issue was reported at Now Available for Pre-order in UK, Germany, and France - #3 by junaruga . I think that Framework recognizes this issue as a high priority, but they just take more time to fix this issue.

Since this still scares me, and I’d love some clarification:

Does this mean I, as a resident of the Netherlands, won’t be able to purchase a Framework laptop until you are able to give me support staff that speak Dutch? To highlight the frustration here: I don’t speak Dutch. :stuck_out_tongue: (Neither does half the tech sector in this country, we’re all filthy expats :stuck_out_tongue: )

(And I’m still scared about how to interpret the lack of Dutch keyboards on the marketplace. Is that just “we know the Dutch actually prefer US keyboards” or is it “nah, just buy a Lenovo instead”? :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

Framework have announced their intention to make as many keyboard language variants as they can: The Keyboard

That’s not the point.

There is a Dutch keyboard standard, yes. Framework should NOT offer it. Not even the Dutch use it. They use the US kb.

Which makes things a bit awkward for figuring out if NL is coming, or not. Because the absence of a Dutch KB option could be either “Framework did their research and noticed that US KB is what sells here”, or “there wasn’t enough people in NL showing interest so it’s not coming here”.

This gets extra interesting since we were told that we could look at the KB options as a hint for what’s next. Which, well, the NL situation is weird and special since a GOOD launch here would avoid the Dutch KB. A good launch in NL would use the exact same system as shipped in and to the US. :stuck_out_tongue:

If I was in Belgium, things would be different - because there is a Belgian KB on the list so at least they know “it’ll show up, at some point in the near-ish future, and at that point I can buy with US KB so I’ll have what I want.”

1 Like

At the moment, you can order any keyboard you like from the ones actually in production (except the blanks, if they’re actually in production). So you can order in Germany with an “Internaional English” (otherwise known as US English) keyboard, or you could have a French keyboard in Britain. So I’m fairly sure you’ll be able to get the keyboard you want.

Being able to get the keyboard I want is 100% not the point.

Read the rest, from right where your quote ended. :wink:

We were told we can get a hint for where the Framework will become available soon through looking at the keyboard selection on the marketplace. As explained, this gets weird in the Dutch case.

My worry, and the point, is that I have no way to know if me being able to purchase the laptop, at all, any keyboard, is “one month away” or “absolutely never”. And eventually, I will end up needing a new laptop. If I know a Framework might be here in a timespan measured in “months” - I’ll hold, I’ll wait for a good thing. But if it is a case of “never” or “years”, then I’ll just buy a Lenovo.

… and not being able to make any judgement on that is what irks me.

1 Like

It’s February!

I cannot wait for my order - it cannot come soon enough!

Will there be an announcement when Batch 8 EU orders begin shipping?

I am sure that consumers will announce something in this thread!

I hope that they will release it soon in Austria.
I mean I do not understand enough about logistics, but they already got the German Keyboard Layout and there is not to much difference between Germany and Austria when it comes to law.

We’ll follow a similar email flow to what we used for our earlier US and Canada pre-order batches. As inventory reaches our fulfillment warehouse, we will send an email to everyone in Batch 8 stating that the batch has entered preparation for fulfillment. For each individual pre-order, we’ll then send an email 1-2 days before we collect the balance of payment, then an email when we collect the balance, an finally a shipment notification email.

Just a note on all of this that all of the regions we do manufacturing in and EU/UK fulfillment from are closed this week for the Lunar New Year holiday. You’ll start to see emails go out as inventory moves following the holiday.

17 Likes

Thanks for the detailed update @nrp !

@nrp Are you able to confirm whether you’re bulk shipping to the EU from where individual orders will be sent, or are you trying to send individual orders from the Far East?

That would really help us understand what to expect - the former option is significantly faster and more reliable in my experience. Orders individually shipping from the Far East is usually an absolute nightmare!

3 Likes

My first order here. Will there be an email with a proper invoice or will it be available via the user login?

1 Like

It sounds like their fulfillment centre has Lunar New Year holidays:

(Emphasis mine)

Generally “fulfilment” refers to the lasts step for shipping to customers, after which it’s with 3rd parties for delivery.

So I imagine they dispatching individually from east-Asia, not batch shipping to some where in the UK/EU and redistributing locally.

Although I’ll bet they’re using a single courier and just loading pallets of labelled up packages to each of the 3 destination countries, so they just load those pallets onto a plane rather than doing a few individual loose parcels at a time…

1 Like

That said, they have a U.S. fulfillment partner, so who really knows…

So I finally got the email stating that “Your order has been shipped” complete with a tracking number. However, without stating who the courier/shipping firm is, this number is useless to me.

Anyone knows who does the shipping for devices to the UK?

It‘s DPD: Batch 8 Guild

4 Likes