OcuLink Expansion Bay Module

Thanks for the confirmation, I now bought both of them ;). I have to say, this brings the FW16 to a whole new level for me, it is really amazing work.

PS: I just checked and didn’t get a receipt for my first order, thanks for sending it as well. I received a receipt for my second order already.

1 Like

I can recommend egpu.io as a source and this thread in particular: https://egpu.io/forums/custom-egpu-chassis/oculink-what-it-is-why-you-need-it-and-where-to-get-it/

However, I do not personally know of an EGPU that directly fits the needs you mentioned.

2 Likes

There are 8i to 2x 4i cables. You could then use 2 4i docks.
not the most beautiful solution, but should work fine.

Hello, I ordered one of the 8x boards and didn’t get a email is there a way to confirm it went through I did see my payment clear. An email receipt you be helpful!

Thank You

If you ordered before the 25th, you may not have received a receipt, if you need one, send me a DM with either the last 4 digits of your card or email you used and I can manually send you one.

Can we get pictures of the 8x oculink card?
From what I have gathered reading through the thread so far, the board does not come with the expansion bay shell/fans, correct?
Will this board work in both the GPU expansion bay shell and the empty expansion bay shell or only the empty expansion bay shell? I only ordered the GPU expansion bay so if this only works in the empty one then I will have to wait until they are selling empty expansion bay and fans individually.

I guess there is a GPU in your expansion bay - are you going to remove the GPU PCB? If not there is certainly no space for another PCB

Potentially, at least until the empty expansion bays are available. It’s a question of when I can buy/use it not if I will buy it.

I’m hoping for more than just a PCB. I’d like a module I can slide into the expansion bay. I preordered one. I’m not going to disassemble my dGPU expansion.

Yeah, the whole module is not included 100%. It’s just the PCB and small 3d printed plastic to replace the one on the back of the non-GPU module. The price would’ve been at least 4 times this if the expansion bay shell and interposer connector were all included, cause the shell and connector are already like $150 in the marketplace.

And I assume that the PCB might be too small for the GPU module, as that one’s deeper than the regular.

3 Likes

I don’t mind the cost increase. I don’t mind buying the blank expansion and swapping in a PCB. I just don’t want to be cutting into the blank for the port etc as that won’t look pretty.

I don’t have an expansion shell in front of me but I believe there’s a removable/replaceable panel for ports. I think they designed it specifically for dropping in a PCB and adding additional I/O.

2 Likes

Yup, ideally there’d be a (3d printed) shield included that fits the connector and prevents dirt and dust from getting in.

John said a 3D printed back piece is included.

1 Like

Just as a FYI you can add/remove an empty expansion bay from your order. You can’t change the GPU expansion bay, but you can change the empty bay.

If you have time to squeeze it into your order you’ll save shipping costs.

Just in case this helps.

2 Likes

I have already received the laptop so it is too late for that unfortunately.

1 Like

Hi,

How does OcuLink compare with MCIO?
I hear that MCIO might be better or more stable at PCIe Gen 4 and above.

I think this comes down to the right tool for the right job. MCIO is not validated or designed for External use, while OCuLink is. MCIO is only validated for 250 connection / disconnection cycles, while OCuLink is rated for 10,000. I also do not believe MCIO supports hotplug, while OCuLink absolutely does. OCuLink is much better suited for an external, frequently disconnected environment.
We likely won’t see (genuine) OCuLink beyond PCIe 4.0, because PCI-SIG is moving beyond OCuLink for PCIe 5 and higher with CopprLink and a yet-to-be-named equivalent Fiber standard. By the time that matters in a mobile solution, we’ll probably be looking at new gear anyways. PCIe 5 and beyond will begin really pushing the limits of utility for external applications without fiber optic cables, as many of these solutions will be sub-1 foot of maximum cable length.

3 Likes

The thing with hotplug on OCuLink is that FW16 probably does not support PCIe hotplugging, so I assume it won’t work, but you’re welcome to try when we have these modules in our hands. As far as I know only enterprise gear can do PCIe hotplug

1 Like

Hi,
Fibre optic cables would be good. If you could just plug in a standard 12 or 24 fibre MTP cable it would be good, or use standard QSFP28 transceivers, but for passing PCIe instead of ethernet. Or by that time is might be OSFP transceivers.