PCI Express Root Port Drivers

I noticed that the Device Manager has 4 of these “PCI Express Root Port” with malfunctions… The device status shows this:

"This device is currently waiting on another device or set of devices to start. (Code 51)

Dependencies:
USB4@_SB_.PC00.TDM1"

Any help at all would be great!

Thank you!

• Win 11 Pro
  • latest Win 11 version
  • 12th gen Intel version

Welcome to the forums! Please update your post to include the following information.

1 Like

Hello, I have the exact same issue:

I was using an eGPU until I was gone on vacation through 2023-08-18T10:00:00Z2023-08-27T14:00:00Z.

When I got back home today plugging the Thunderbolt cable is only charging the laptop and nothing is happening.

Did Microsoft messed something up?

CPU 12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1260P 2.10 GHz
RAM 64 GB
OS Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Build 22621.2134
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22659.1000.0

Well I’ve finally managed to fix it by doing the following in order:

• Uninstall Parsec (maybe unrelated but I’m putting it here anyway).
  • Performing a reboot by going through Windows recovery options (aka doing Shift+Restart) and just hitting continue.

No idea what happened but I’m pretty sure this is a certified Windows moment.

3 Likes

@Vicky Oh my goodness, thank you so much. I don’t have a Framework laptop, but I’ve been struggling with this for weeks trying to figure out why my Razer Core X Chroma has randomly stopped working. I figured it was just an issue with my laptop not fully supporting Thunderbolt since it’s an AMD laptop with USB4. I was debating whether or not I was going to return the eGPU enclosure. I’ve reinstalled Windows 11 multiple times and it works initially (and ironically works perfectly in Ubuntu), but after using Windows for a bit longer it stops working. Installing Parsec was the issue. Looks like I’ll be using Moonlight with Sunshine over Tailscale going forward. After I uninstalled Parsec and restarted, I heard the USB connect sound multiple times lol.

I wasn’t able to find much in Event Viewer. Only real thing I noticed I was a malfunction on the PCI Express Root Port just like you:

This device is currently waiting on another device or set of devices to start. (Code 51)

Dependencies:
ACPI\PNP0A08\0
USB4@_SB_.PCI0.GP19.NHI1

1 Like

Not a Framework user/owner (yet!) but I have had a similar issue with another AMD system the Minisforum UM790 Pro. Parsec was also the culprit for me. I tried updating the parsec drivers, stopping the service, etc. It didn’t seem to matter. Something about their drivers causes these issues. For me it’s not a massive deal since my device will be behind a TV for some emulation of old systems, but it’s for sure a strange thing. Hopefully AMD/Parsec can fix it soon. Thanks for sharing this because I felt like I was going crazy! If anyone finds a fix, please let me know!

1 Like

Hey guys, mentioned this on the Parsec discord and received this response:

Yes, but you only need to uninstall the adapter, not Parsec itself
Driver version 0.2.5.0 has an issue in which Windows is applying a part of it to all devices
We’re aware of it and are fixing it

1 Like

Confirming @Vicky post above, repeated below, resolved this issue for me. I had suspected the Parsec virtual device and driver could be involved and had already removed them. A standard restart did not correct but I tried the “SHIFT” + restart boot through recovery and it worked right away after that. Must be some special driver clean out in the boot method.

Razor Core X Enclosure
Nvidia 3070
Framework 13 13th Gen working together again
Just upgraded to Windows 11 which led to the issue

Well I’ve finally managed to fix it by doing the following in order:

- Uninstall Parsec (maybe unrelated but I’m putting it here anyway).
- Performing a reboot by going through Windows recovery options (aka doing Shift+Restart) and just hitting continue.
No idea what happened but I’m pretty sure this is a certified Windows moment.
1 Like

Adding to this as a user of a 13th Gen intel system with an Akitio Node Titan + RX 6600, on Windows 11, I installed Parsec two days ago, and yesterday my eGPU suddenly was no longer showing up in device manager. Literally tried everything, and thought the connection was just being picky again, until I noticed it was working fine in Linux.

Turns out, simply uninstalling parsec and rebooting caused the GPU to work again immediately, and I also had those same warnings on the PCI Root Port, which went away after this.
So yea, it is definitely something to do with the drivers Parsec installs messing with Thunderbolt drivers.

Also, now that I know this was the culprit, does anyone know any similar software that lets you remote play together non-steam games?

1 Like

I’m currently not using a Framework laptop, but I encountered the same issue on my AMD laptop. I believe it’s the Parsec Virtual USB Adapter that’s preventing my PCI Express Root Port from running properly. You could keep Parsec and just uninstall the adapter under Installed Apps in Settings. Hope this helps!

This really works. I’ve tried for a whole day and almost reinstall the windows. Thanks bro.

I really wish I found this thread a week ago. I had the same issue on my non-framework laptop while using Thunderbolt 3 peripherals through my AMD USB4 port, and came to the same conclusion of Parsec causing issues in Windows 11.

Y’all are awesome, I wish I had just googled my error message sooner, found this thread on the first page

Looping back to the note on uninstalling Parsec to resolve - I would like to report that updates are now available and upgrading the Parsec VUD (Virtual USB Driver) appears to resolve this issue for me.

Originally I had the same PCIE device manager error / eGPU not working (tested Razer Core X Chroma and Core X regular), and with the updated driver the PCI errors go away in device manager and I can see the external devices enumerate under Display Adapters and Razer Synapse.

Full disclosure I have not load tested rendering on the GPU in this config, but we’re significantly farther than zero device enumeration so I’m confident it’ll work (it’s worked in the past, but this is windows after all :upside_down_face: ). I’ll follow up with a positive confirmation once I get a chance to load test this - but super busy so no guarantees as to when.

Parsec VUD update procedure
  1. Open Parsec Desktop
  2. Go to Settings (gear icon on the left) > Host
  3. Scroll down to the section on virtual USB devices (controllers, tablet, and mouse)
  4. Click “Download Virtual USB Device” or “Current version is x.x.x.x” as appropriate
  5. Run the file that downloads
  6. It will first prompt you to uninstall the previous version if applicable
    • If you are required to uninstall, a reboot will be required to proceed
    • If you do not have VUD installed, proceed to step 9
  7. If prompted to reboot, reboot
  8. Log in and re-run the file you downloaded earlier. It should complete automagically
  9. Profit, the new USB driver is installed
  10. If you want to be super super sure it’s still working, reboot again here
    • I’ve found that sometimes rebooting with the eGPU attached on my prior Intel laptops can lead to different undesirable attachment scenarios, so I’ve found the that cleanest way to test an eGPU reboot is to detach the eGPU, reboot, then reattach.
  11. Profit with extra fast graphics.
My Hardware (for reference)

FW16 DIY Edition
Windows 11 23H2 22631.3374
Ryzen 7 7840HS
32GB (1x32GB)
WD Black SN850X 1TB
FW 1TB expansion card
No SSD populated in the secondary bay
Radeon RX 7700S installed

eGPU: Razer Core X Chroma w/ EVGA RTX 3050