[Poll] CPU and GPU combinations

Intel CPU but AMD GPU for my vote, good enough for Apple and is good enough for me

Getting closer to 1k votes, and it’s pretty sizable lead in the CPU category

85% AMD
15% Intel

2 Likes

Being a Linux guy, I’d very much prefer Intel or AMD especially on the graphics side. Why? Both have a long history of actually supprting Linux with decent drivers. Nvidia? Not so much. Nvidia is “better” in more recent times but has a long way to go to demonstrate an actual, long lasting commitment to, especially, open source support for their GPUs. Nvidia’s overall business practices as of late - Massive price hikes - Are also a dis-incentive to wanting to give them the sale. I do have an Intel Arc A750 desktop GPU - It works quite well and has caused zero issues under Linux… I’d have zero issue going with a comparable Arc mobile GPU.

CPU side I also prefer AMD. I do occasionally run virtualization on desktops/laptops. The Intel E/P-core situation gets messy. With that said, if Intel’s options are markedly superior in battery life, temperatures/cooling, or overall performance I’d be OK going that route.

I’m not a gamer and don’t care how either CPU does with … What I am interested in is software development/compile, media, and general productivity. The main reason for me to choose Laptop 16 over 13 is primarily screen size - I’m not a fan of trying to do real work on tiny screens, with 16:10/1920x1200 rather than 16:9 being ideal. If I could order Laptop 16 with only integrated graphics and an extra battery in the GPU bay - Or extra NVMe slots - It would be pretty much perfect for my purposes… I can do fine without a dedicated GPU.

5 Likes

I would like to see an Intel CPU with DDR4 so we can reuse DDR4 memory and AMD with DDR5 (is not like there is an alternative memory for them I know) for the ones which prefer DDR5/have/want to buy new RAM

1 Like

I wonder if we’ll get any Intel HX processors. The MSI Titan is killing it, dominating the chart…but loud:
https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/search?page=1&q=13980hx&sort=multicore_score

Option 1

AMD APU

Option 2

AMD CPU - mid tier
AMD GPU - mid tier

Option 3

AMD CPU - high tier
Nvidia GPU - high tier

I think its obvious, that some professional workload requires CUDA support. There are some workarounds that, like HIP - but they are required to be implemented by hand. Blender does this, as an example.

Second is ray tracing. Another point would be AI calculations, eventually.

I personally run a pure AMD rig, and I would also buy such one.

And realistically, from a company`s viewpoint, is NVidia too valuable to avoid.

Another factor is the new open source driver, and that the green goblins are finally releasing source code.

Probably because they got blackmailed to do so by the hacker attack, and nonetheless.

And the new driver, that will likely become a kernel driver, with mesa:

And I think the community voted for exactly that:
AMD CPU + AMD GPU and AMD CPU + NVidia GPU.

I do think an APU for the basic, and discrete CPUs for the two higher tiers are probably the more controversial parts of my proposal. :smile:

I like to buy a 16" inch laptop with Amd Gpu min. 12gb/ram, or even better 16gb/ram
I think for a 2023 Laptop is a decent gpu , if you promise upgradable Gpu,
what are the chance to this make happens ?!
Also Intel Cpu is a nice to Have configuration !
AMD cpu have a lot of problems this days …!

1 Like

Share your thoughts here.

1 Like

what exactly do you mean by this? I have been using AMD for well over a decade and have never encountered any problems since the early K series.

3 Likes

Generally from my understanding, they are ‘dominating it’ while sucking up 50% more power or so!
Although Intel definetly has its advantages :slight_smile:

I don’t mind the GPU options long as there’s options with enough vram to last a few years going forward. So a 16 gB option minimum, with 20+ preferred. Definitely an AMD CPU though.

I have only a slight preference for AMD+AMD over AMD+NVIDIA.

What I would be particularly interested in is in one of the dynamically switchable display MUX systems (known as “Advanced Optimus” for NVIDIA and “Smart Access Graphics” for AMD). I’m not sure the extent to which this is technically feasible, though, or the extent to which this is gated behind specific AMD/NVIDIA contracts.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure the expansion bay spec includes a dp back channel so that would require a hardware mux (which for some reason everyone needs to make up some fancy name for).

2 Likes

Well, it could be the case that the internal panel is connected to the integrated GPU and the external ports are connected to the expansion bay/discrete GPU; there are plenty of laptops with that sort of setup.

Even if the external ports are muxed, there’s still a question of whether

• There’s a mux between the discrete & integrated GPU to the internal panel¹, and
  • Whether that mux is runtime controllable - it’s only quite recently that (non-Apple) laptops with muxes that don’t require a reboot and switching in the BIOS firmware have become available.

¹: Lots of laptops with discrete GPUs have only the integrated GPU connected to the internal panel, and rely on copying rendering onto the integrated GPU in order to display

1 Like

The spec for the expansion bay explicitly refers to the displayport back channel as “for the internal display” so some form of mux needs to be there, if it is runtime configurable is a different question.

Am aware. The performance hit for display backhaul via the pcie4x8 link probably would not even be that bad but they do need a mux anyway so might as well make it controllable.

1 Like

I would be ecstatic with a Ryzen 7 7840hs and a RX 7600S external GPU.

Based on some reviews, both are relatively energy efficient if you run them at lower power limits. Apparently ryzen 7040 CPU efficiency suffers with a power limit above 45W.

But I’d be happy with only an iGPU as long as we have a decent iGPU like 7040.

On the topic of a muxless dGPU, I currently have one where internal display is on iGPU and external on dGPU (4800H + 5600M) and it works fine. Performance doesn’t seem to be affected much compared to benchmarks and it works perfectly in Linux.

That notebook has other issues, like suspend being completely broken except on Windows 10, it’s even broken under W11 with not a single firmware update from MSI.
So I’m super ready to throw my money at a Framework 16.

3 Likes

All AMD for the Linux support, I dealt with Nvidia drivers in the past, never again. Yes, I know they improved since a decade ago.

5 Likes

Tbh I don’t think nVidia is a suitable idea given how consumer friendly this company is. nVidia may have the best GPUs in terms of performance only, but AMDs are far more efficient and will out perform the nVidia GPU from the last generation anyways. Thats not an issue as we can always upgrade it.

3 Likes

I would like to see an options for both an intel or amd cpu with an option of an amd, intel or nvidia gpu, but only GPUs with open source drivers please.

1 Like

Something doesn’t add up here XD

7 Likes