Power button LED - Possibility to turn off in future updates?

Sure, a piece of blackout tape would do it but, why? If there’s any possibility in a future software update to make the power button LED square be either dimmer or completely turned off while powered on would be a nice feature when using the machine in a dark room. Certainly if using it while watching any kind of video where it wouldn’t be as distracting as a pimple!

5 Likes

Ik on the 13 you can dim the brightness of the LED in the bios.

It’s the same on the 16 but there is only low, medium and high, no off setting.

1 Like

I would also be in favor of this option.

I am bothered by eye strain when there is any kind of light in my field of view if I’m trying to concentrate on anything else.
I’m hoping the FL16 (Batch 16) minimum brightness will be low enough for me and anything lit between me and the screen will not help.

I know the computer is on, I’m currently using it. Why do I need a little light to let me know about it? (Especially when the rest of the keyboard backlight is off.) Seems a little redundant and wasteful of that precious battery life. I do, however, like that it pulses when it’s asleep, that’s pretty handy.
Now if it could flash when I get a notification or if the battery dips below a threshold, that would be awesome.

2 Likes

The low setting is not really that low. I get that it is lit up so you can locate it to use it (maybe for future implementation or something)

I agree the pulsating is a nice effect.

Having it be barely visible for those of us using the computer in a dark environment would be a nice case for “low”. The current low is really what I would think of as medium.

1 Like

Rise from your grave!

Just commenting that the lowest setting on the power LED is brighter than the maximum level of the backlit number pad when you look at them both directly overhead. I think that’s saying something.

1 Like

You can use ectool led power off and ectool led power auto.
(At least on the FW 13 AMD, should also work on FW 16)

1 Like

Yes, ectool works on fw16 also.

Cool!
But umm… as much as I like to believe I understand a lot of this stuff I pale in comparison to most of you and I straight up admit I need a bit… maybe a lot of hand holding… where can I just download it and start playing around? The Wiki being retired when I search is not the most helpful resource… :[

Unless it is, and then you can all make fun of me and call me silly names :wink:

2 Likes

I did install fw-fanctrl because that one comes with ectool and can do a little more with it:

cd ~
git clone https://github.com/TamtamHero/fw-fanctrl
cd fw-fanctrl/
sudo ./install.sh

Now you’ve got both ectool and fw-fancontrol installed and can view some values as well as modify fan curves and the like.
ectool requires elevated privileges, so to test
sudo ectool battery
will show some battery data.
AFAIK, it won’t work with secure boot enabled. There’s work underway to integrate it into the kernel, but I don’t know when that will go public.
[edit]
still no publication date, but for reference:

[/edit]

1 Like