Properly grounding a custom enclosure

I just got a Framework 13 mainboard (Intel 13th gen i5-1340P), battery and display (everything looks amazing so far, by the way), and I want to build a custom enclosure for it. I noticed in a few of the normal build instructions there are some grounding components, for example the silver grounding tape on the edp cable that in the normal build gets stuck to one of the hinges.

My question is: if I am building a custom enclosure, is there any quick instructions or guide to make sure everything is grounded properly? I’m not much of an electrical engineer and I’m not sure how important this is. From my very limited understanding, it seems like in the normal build, some metal components such as the case and or hinges are used to ground things. If my enclosure is mostly built out of a non-conductive material, should I include some piece of metal somewhere that I can connect these things to in order to keep everything grounded/balanced/whatever?

Thanks so much! Please forgive my ignorance!

The metal components aren’t used to create a ground, rather they are connected to ground so that they aren’t left electrically “floating”. Things like silver conductive tape on ports and cables are to provide RF shielding.

You don’t need to add metal to your case. The CoolerMaster case is plastic and it’s fine. Framework has a 3d printed case on their github as well, if case you weren’t aware. Might be helpful to build on.

Ah, good to know, thanks so much for taking the time to reply!

1 Like

I’m asking a perhaps related problem? I put my Intel i7-1165G7 in a Cooler Master (after upgrading my main laptop with a new mainboard) I’ve been playing around with installing new Linux distros, btw my SSD drive is a Samsung 980 Pro, 2Terabytes. I installed ParrotOS the other day, but yesterday it refused to turn on. It’s just dead. I don’t really understand what could have happened. Why would it suddenly not turn on at all? Could I have short-circuited something? This is a set-up that I don’t have an urgent need for, but I’d like to understand what could have happened. Perhaps the mainboard battery ML 1220, is malfunctioning? I tried using different usb-C cords and a different power supply, but I don’t have a separate laptop battery. It’s a fairly bare-bones set up.

It’s possible you shorted something, but unless you were poking around with something conductive, I don’t think that would be the most likely cause. Any lights / signs of life?

Did you do a motherboard reset? Has your bios battery ever been replaced? You’re aware of the issue with the 11th gen bios battery?