Question about moving the OS from the NVME FW gives to another with more storage

In the body of your post, please include those following details.
I was wondering if there was any way I could bring the OS and all other files from one NVME to another without needing to just reinstall everything and hope I can use windows key from the old NVME on the new one on my Framework 16 laptop.

Yes, did it this weekend. I used rescuezilla. I went from a 1Tb to a 4Tb nvme drive.

It wasn’t as straight forward as I would have liked it to be.
Issues:
I ran into a “secure boot issue” with Ventoy: ventoy has a solution:
Ventoy resolution here.

Once past that, I ran into the fact that good ole’ Microsoft put a ‘rescue volume’ butted up against the ‘c’ drive. This meant I was going to have to add another drive letter instead of extending my ‘c’ drive and I didn’t like that idea.

To resolve, I booted to rescuezilla, closed out the clone wizard and opened gparted. This allowed me to move the ‘rescue volume’ to the end of the drive and put the unused space next to the ‘c’ volume.

Once this was done, I opened up the rescuezilla wizard, ran through it, UNCHECKED the ‘overwrite partitions’ and assigned the partitions in the wizard. (you’ll see what I mean when you run the tool). Once the wizard completed, I rebooted on the new larger drive.

Windows will complain about the new drive and activation, Just run the troubleshooting wizard, it will ask you if it is the same laptop with some upgraded hardware, the answer is yes. It will then fix the key and boot.

Once booted, you will need to go into the Microsoft Disk and partition tool to ‘extend’ the C drive. Voila’ I now have a 4Tb C drive, no loss of data, same Windows license/key.

Now what I do have is another issue. at the same time, I upgraded my mainboard to the Ryzen 7840U and now I can’t get my Displaylink docking station to work. Like, at all… I’m not sure if I need to move my usb-c modules around or what. I’ve even changed to a 100W charger… no joy…

Hope this helps and if anyone else reads it, help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like