Reboots instead of waking from sleep -- when plugged in to AC power?

Hi wondering if anyone else has had this issue. When my 13" AMD Framework laptop, running Fedora 39, is put on standby while plugged into an outlet it will full reboot when I try to wake from standby.

This happens whether I trigger standby mode by closing the lid or the OS puts the machine into standby after 15 minutes. When the laptop is open I can tell that it is still on standby because the power button is blinking. When I then hit a key on the keyboard, the laptop reboots and I get the Framework logo instead of simply waking from sleep.

Anyone else have this issue? Any solutions?

EDIT:

• Not just on AC power apparantly.
  • Updated kernel to v6.6.
  • SSD is the Framework provided WD Black SN770 M.2 NVME 2280, 250GB.

Related Issues

Sounds like these are related, and others have experienced this on Windows too.

Hardware Information:

• Hardware Model: Framework Laptop 13 AMD Ryzen 7040Series
  • Memory: 16.0 GiB
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U w/ Radeon™ 760M Graphics Ă— 12
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon™ Graphics
  • Disk Capacity: 250.1 GB

Software Information:

• Firmware Version: 03.03
  • OS Name: Fedora Linux 39 (Workstation Edition)
  • OS Build: (null)
  • OS Type: 64-bit
  • GNOME Version: 45.2
  • Windowing System: Wayland
  • Kernel Version: Linux 6.6.6-200.fc39.x86_64

Start with updating to the latest kernel. Looks like you are about a month behind on updates.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. The issue persists under 6.6.6-200. :frowning:

I’m not fully confident that it’s only under AC Power. Here it’s shut down again after I closed the lid just now, on battery power. Log shows nothing abnormal to my eye before suspend…

Are you using disk encryption? If you are you have additional steps necessary to allow suspend to work correctly.

1 Like

Thank you! Yes, my disk is encrypted. I’m having difficulty finding information related to this… You don’t happen to have a link or search query? Is this framwork specific? I’ve not had issues related to suspend + LUKS before…

EDIT: To clarify, I’m not using hibernate, just s2idle.

Additionally, an issue I believe is known is that the Framework will wake from suspend on USB PD disconnect.

It appears I ignored that HDMI cannot be attached to slot 2. At least under my preliminary tests, this has solved the issue.

Thanks all!

I’m also experiencing this in Fedora 39 Kinoite (Universal Blue) and was also having it happen in F39 Workstation. I have the HDMI port in slot 3 (right next to the power button).

I’m experiencing this without any HDMI expansion cards, just USB-C in 3 and USB-A in 4, and only after the laptop’s been suspended for several minutes.

Edit: And it doesn’t seem to happen with the USB-C removed from slot 3. Odd…