Recommended laptop bags / cases / sleeves?

Mine definitely does not fit… But I put it in the main compartment and will be sleeving it up so that wouldn’t fit anyhow.

Outdoor Research Field Explorer Pack - 20L
Laptop pocket fits the 16 with dGPU.
It will also fit the 16 with a Crush Case if you want to increase the padding.

I also note that the laptop pocket does not extend all the way down, keeping it off the bottom.

1 Like

For everyone, at least in Germany, I don’t know if they’re shipping international, who wants something unique and loves the idea of upcycling, the Feuerwear Scott 15 and 17 should fit the FW 16 without dgpu module and inside the included separate laptop sleeve. If you’re using the dgpu module, you may have to bring your own sleeve to put it into this bag. It should fit inside the main compartment.
These bags are made of used fire hoses, they wash and clean them, cut them to pieces and sew them into different bags, backpacks and even smaller things like purses. Since every hose has a different wear and no cut is like the other, they’re truly unique, no bag looks like the other. And if you wait for may 15th, they have limited neon yellow for sale, since these hoses are not (yet) used very frequently. You have to be fast, though, they are sold in minutes.

Have a look yourself:

2 Likes

The FW16 with dGPU “fits” into an STM Myth 18L backpack however it is a very tight fit in the laptop divider and even in the main pocket the laptop corners are pushing on the edges of the bag. If you had an FW16 without the dGPU it would probably be a fairly reasonable fit.

I customized a TimBuk2 messenger bag (17" version) to be styled similarly to the Framework 16. I think it turned out great! Not only does it look great and feel sturdy, but there’s also plenty of room. I don’t have the dGPU, but I’ve little doubt it would fit comfortably as well.

For anyone curious, the Pelican case I linked somewhere above also fits inside here for double protection. I don’t think it’s necessary though, I have the optional laptop padded sleeve insert which feels like it would to a better job protecting than my previous messenger. The sleeve insert is also suspended over the bottom of the bag.

I used the Terracotta, Steel, and Sand colors to make this combo. In total it was about $200 USD after adding all the optionals.

2 Likes

Shoutout to Iron_Raptor for the Everki Laptop Bag recommendation on the other thread. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005N8J0P0?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Which I just got and fits the 16 inch framework perfectly. (mine has no GPU but both will fit) Very pleased, very good quality. I got the 17.3 inch size.

1 Like

I have a motorcycle airbag vest that has a backpack element that zips on and off. I carry my FW13 in here all the time (usually with the backpack element zipped off and stowed in the rear topbox). It seems like there would be space for the FW16 but I’m not sure.
Anyone else have the Helite H-Moov airbag backpack and a FW16?
Any other Framework motorcycle enjoyers out there?

A link for anyone curious about motorcycle airbag vests: Helite H-Moov Tethered Airbag Backpack - RevZilla

1 Like

I ordered this bag and I was looking into a bag like this one or something similar as an alternative. Now, until I can find a similar case or the files are available for this. I am now looking for a safe way to store and travel with the expansion shell.

Anyone considering the OGIO Alpha+ 25L Backpack because it’s 17” compatible… its way too tight for my liking with the gpu module.

In a sleeve in the other large compartment is fine though if you’re set on this pack.

So, the laptop fits inside the TomToc bag I’ve buyed and it sits very comfy, BUT it may become a tight fit around the corners with the dGPU module. But I have to test that, maybe with some cardboard at the bottom?

The bag has enough space for all the other stuff though, since the PSU is so small, it fits inside the small front pouch, together with the FW screwdriver and the power cables. I’ve put the mouse, another power/data cable, wireless receiver, GPS sensor and another USB cable inside the bigger pouch. The mousepad fits in the inside pouch, as well as the two additional USB modules.

1 Like

I would have got the 17 but I need to cram my Huion Kamvas Pro 16 in that bag and the 18 is the only one that fits it. At least with things packed fairly snug, the laptop ain’t budging

1 Like

I have recently picked up this bag. I got it because of its’ size and it looks like it will be enough for my next trip to Europe.

Thank you very much!!
I was desperately trying to find something like that.
Great contribution!

I bought a Cushcase for my FW16 for when the dGPU is plugged in, it’s reasonably cushioned but not that much either.
Still, it will be more than sufficient for its intended purpose of protecting the FW when it’s not in the laptop pocket of my Cabaia bag.

Based on CushCase’s blurb that says “a centre layer made from rigid but flexible foam with great impact absorbing properties”, I had expected it to be thicker and more obvious, but I guess it’s in there…

How tight would you describe the fit in this particular backpack?

Snug.

1 Like

Anyone bought a CushCase for the GPU-Model version and is using it on a Framework 16 without a GPU module? Is the fit still fine and does the laptop move a lot around?
I want to buy a CushCase and currently don’t have a GPU module, but in the future I maybe want to add one, so I want to rather go for the version that is made for the GPU module attached.

Yes, I have a FW16 with GPU and with the CrushCase. I have tried the FW16 without the GPU on my recent trip to Europe in the CrushCase and it seems fine to me, has about an Inch more space to move side to side in, but as the case is soft on the inside, it doesn’t pose any issues that I can see.

1 Like

I ended up getting a Modern Dayfarer V2 XPac (DAYFARER V2 Backpack XPak | Premium Gym & Work Backpack)

Con: My FW16 with dGPU does not fit the dedicated external laptop sleeve. I haven’t tried with it with the base expansion bay. It’ll probably fit with the base expansion bay but it’ll be tight. The FW16 with dGPU was too wide by 10mm.

Maybe pro: The FW16 with dGPU fits in the internal laptop sleeve. The internal laptop sleeve does not extend all the way to the bottom so there’s the advantage of having a false bottom. However, the internal sleeve is not padded. So the only padding is from the backpack body and the sides. As long as I don’t put any sharp objects against the internal sleeve, the laptop is safe.

Why did I decide to keep the Dayfarer despite the issues above? Because the above issues are not dealbreakers for me. And the Dayfarer just looks too good :blush: