Replace the Windows key with a Linux one or at least a generic "super" one

Yeah, I found another two articles that states it’s not currently on any 12th gen Intel processors, plus Dell and Lenovo have mostly opted Intel’s solution instead of Microsoft’s Pluton.

and some ARM chips as well. It’s heading for intel.

As the FrameWork Laptop officially supports Linux, it would be great to see an option to get a distro-specific super key. FrameWork wouldn’t have to sell a whole new keyboard, they could just sell the individual keycap. however, I can imagine how expensive it would be to make that reasonably.

Oh, thank you for that.

I would like to +1 for an agnostic key cap design.

There should be some sort of solution that is better than “stickers”, using sandpaper to remove layers, or using paint to cover up the existing Windows logo. In the very least, there should be a detailed guide that explains the best way to take off and replace the current key with the least likely chance of breaking it.

Is it true that Microsoft requires their logo to be on these keyboards because Framework sells copies of their operating system? If true, how is this relevant if someone chooses to not buy a laptop with the OS already installed?

Some ideas for what the replacement keycap could feature:

• transparent

• plain black

• super

• tux

• code

• Framework gear logo

• pirate flag

• triangle circle square

• a large X shape: extending to, and touching, all 4 corners of the keycap

• recycle icon

• I am sure there are others. The important part is that they are OS agnostic.

There are other topics and posts on this that can guide, but as it is not a Framework option it is not official.

2 Likes

I believe that what people have said is that Microsoft offers a discount on OEM licenses if the keyboard has the windows logo on the key. The relevance is that it is cost prohibitive and confusing for Framework to have two versions of every keyboard variant with and without the logo, so they choose to make them all with the windows logo supposedly for the alleged discount.

3 Likes

Not all, there is an option to buy a blank input cover and a blank and clear keyboard are ‘coming soon’

1 Like

You are correct, but in the context of this conversation I was referring to all keyboards with markings on the keys, as we are in a conversation about “replacing the windows logo” and the blank keyboards would not need to be considered here, as they do not have a windows logo to be replaced.

2 Likes

@Azure @amoun

The takeaway seems to be that Framework can retain their Windows OS discounts, while simultaneously having the option to sell some keyboards without the Windows logo.

So, maybe in the future, there will be non-Windows options directly from the company. Or, maybe someone will provide a third-party option through the marketplace?

You typed “OEM” here. Pertaining to the Windows licenses that Framework sells, do they not have a “retail” option? The OS in the marketplace appears to have the retail price; not the OEM price.

Yes there is both. Pre-built with OEM or retail as you mention (at higher cost)

I doubt there will be a variety of keyboards with custom super keys as the keys are not user replaceable parts. So having a factory assemble a number of extra keyboards may become a nightmare.

There are already nearly a dozen layouts with more to come so then multiply that by the number of different super keys that are wanted and . . .

Yes, you are right. I understand the logistical issue with this. There are ways to get around it however.

1. Some keyboard manufacturers provide custom keycaps utilizing different “printing” technologies. One such example would be WASD’s UV printing process:
    Our Build Process - WASD Keyboards
  2. Or, Framework could eventually only sell keyboards that allow for user replaceable keycaps. Very unlikely, mainly due to the complexity of the butterfly mechanism. However, it would make sense from a business, repair, and environment standpoint.
    For example, customers would buy less keyboards because:
  • They would not need a completely new keyboard for a different language option.
  • Reduce the temptation to buy a blank keyboard, for the sole purpose of cannibalizing.
  • From a marketing standpoint, it would make the laptops seem that much more fun and customizable.
  • The customer base could sell their own keycap designs on the marketplace. Framework could provide the different language options via this method as well.
1 Like

So you guys put a Windows symbol on the keyboard so you could get discounts on Windows licenses so you guys will make money on them when you sell them to us at retail?

Looks like regardless if you buy a pre-built, DIY or just order a Windows license it costs $199 which is the same as if buying from Microsoft retail. I don’t have any issues if this is why, I was just curious.

I think you will find Windows on the pre-built is cheaper

The pre-built is a tiny bit cheaper but not as much as it used to be.
The base pre-built is $1,049. The closest DIY is $1,064.

And what do you mean by closet, what differences have you ‘selected’

Do you get a power brick and cables with that DIY version ? And of course Windows is set up, some small effort too Oh! do you get the screwdriver too :slight_smile:

Who? I’m not an employee.

Also I was just relaying the most accurate and likely information. I have no horse in this race, I run Linux and have not paid for Windows in quite some time.

4 Likes

If you select the same configuration the difference is £74, note the pre-built comes with a power supply which isn’t mention in the itemised list.

Well maybe you should be. Haha :slight_smile:
Sorry I always assumed the shield was an employee not a moderator. XD

1 Like

That’s true I completely forgot about the power brick.

Honestly looking into OEM licenses for Windows the discount doesn’t appear to even be all that much which surprised me.

1 Like