Replace the Windows key with a Linux one or at least a generic "super" one

You are correct, but in the context of this conversation I was referring to all keyboards with markings on the keys, as we are in a conversation about “replacing the windows logo” and the blank keyboards would not need to be considered here, as they do not have a windows logo to be replaced.

2 Likes

@Azure @amoun

The takeaway seems to be that Framework can retain their Windows OS discounts, while simultaneously having the option to sell some keyboards without the Windows logo.

So, maybe in the future, there will be non-Windows options directly from the company. Or, maybe someone will provide a third-party option through the marketplace?

You typed “OEM” here. Pertaining to the Windows licenses that Framework sells, do they not have a “retail” option? The OS in the marketplace appears to have the retail price; not the OEM price.

Yes there is both. Pre-built with OEM or retail as you mention (at higher cost)

I doubt there will be a variety of keyboards with custom super keys as the keys are not user replaceable parts. So having a factory assemble a number of extra keyboards may become a nightmare.

There are already nearly a dozen layouts with more to come so then multiply that by the number of different super keys that are wanted and . . .

Yes, you are right. I understand the logistical issue with this. There are ways to get around it however.

1. Some keyboard manufacturers provide custom keycaps utilizing different “printing” technologies. One such example would be WASD’s UV printing process:
    Our Build Process - WASD Keyboards
  2. Or, Framework could eventually only sell keyboards that allow for user replaceable keycaps. Very unlikely, mainly due to the complexity of the butterfly mechanism. However, it would make sense from a business, repair, and environment standpoint.
    For example, customers would buy less keyboards because:
  • They would not need a completely new keyboard for a different language option.
  • Reduce the temptation to buy a blank keyboard, for the sole purpose of cannibalizing.
  • From a marketing standpoint, it would make the laptops seem that much more fun and customizable.
  • The customer base could sell their own keycap designs on the marketplace. Framework could provide the different language options via this method as well.
1 Like

So you guys put a Windows symbol on the keyboard so you could get discounts on Windows licenses so you guys will make money on them when you sell them to us at retail?

Looks like regardless if you buy a pre-built, DIY or just order a Windows license it costs $199 which is the same as if buying from Microsoft retail. I don’t have any issues if this is why, I was just curious.

I think you will find Windows on the pre-built is cheaper

The pre-built is a tiny bit cheaper but not as much as it used to be.
The base pre-built is $1,049. The closest DIY is $1,064.

And what do you mean by closet, what differences have you ‘selected’

Do you get a power brick and cables with that DIY version ? And of course Windows is set up, some small effort too Oh! do you get the screwdriver too :slight_smile:

Who? I’m not an employee.

Also I was just relaying the most accurate and likely information. I have no horse in this race, I run Linux and have not paid for Windows in quite some time.

4 Likes

If you select the same configuration the difference is £74, note the pre-built comes with a power supply which isn’t mention in the itemised list.

Well maybe you should be. Haha :slight_smile:
Sorry I always assumed the shield was an employee not a moderator. XD

1 Like

That’s true I completely forgot about the power brick.

Honestly looking into OEM licenses for Windows the discount doesn’t appear to even be all that much which surprised me.

1 Like

@amoun This means Framework could suffice with selling single keys with different logo’s.

Yes they could sell as such but

• It’s not a user replaceable part so would void the warranty if it went wrong.
  • Manufacturing various keys may be deemed wasteful and unprofitable.
  • Given the proliferation of 3D printers I’m sure someone can get their custom key made.
2 Likes

Late to the party, but all Framework Laptops come with an included screwdriver, whether DIY or pre-assembled. Even the God-forsaken Framework Chromebook will come with one.

1 Like

Another vote for a keyboard option for the BSD/Linux/Other OS users.

Logos are divisive. Functionally it is a Super key and I don’t want it to carry branding or assume how my system uses the key. The Dev One knows their audience and the Super key is almost as much of a selling point as the AMD processor.

Clearly a different audience then

Yes, different but with an intersection. Framework must target a broad audience including Windows and now ChromeOS users to be sustainable. I would rather they grow market share and be able to supply replacement parts for years than waste time and burn money on every niche request. A windows keyboard is a sensible default to build volume.

It would be nice if one day they were in a position to offer a keyboard option though ideally the business would grow big enough to support third party offerings. Perhaps someone with keycap design experience and industry contacts will organize a group buy one day. I have removed and replaced laptop keycaps many times. It isn’t without risk of damage but one of the selling points of the device is if I break it I can fix it.

1 Like

Y’all see the LTT video from March, (I only just saw it,) hyping the 16"er?

They’re talking Superkey options…

1 Like

Yep. See here

2 Likes