Request: Review of Norwegian, Portuguese, Swedish, Swiss, Slovenian, Thai, Hungarian, and Danish keyboards

Hi everyone, thanks for all of the feedback on the previous rounds of keyboard artwork review. We have a few more languages we’d like your eyes on double checking. I’ll add one keyboard per post to make it easier to reply to.

18 Likes

Norwegian

4 Likes

Portuguese

10 Likes

Swedish

22 Likes

Swiss

25 Likes

Slovenian

5 Likes

Thai

1 Like

Hungarian

13 Likes

Danish

16 Likes

The Hungarian keyboard looks good.

8 Likes

First pass on the Norwegian looks good. I’ll give a few more passes and verify.
Second pass: still good!

1 Like

Being from Portugal, can confirm after comparing that image with the keyboard in front of me, nothing seems out of place.

I would only say that the “€” symbol can be achieved both with the AltGr+E or AltGr+5, and some keyboards do print it. Let me know if you want me to show a picture of this.

5 Likes

If one wants to switch layouts will that require swapping the entire keyboard? I think it would be neat if there’s a single keyboard base with enough switches to be able to use any layout and the customers install the keys they want on it. This could even be used to allow users to have extra keys with custom functionality if they want.

This has been discussed and the issue is such a user change would void the warranty. The key caps are not designed for user replacement.

Swedish looks good. Looking forward to ordering ASAP.

Other OEMs usually make “Scandinavian” keyboards since they’re identical apart from the slightly different look of our 3 umlauts. No big deal if you would do that.

11 Likes

That would likely be near impossible, IMO, considering there are at least 5 physically different layouts.

ANSI (two variants), ISO, KS, ABNT and JIS, at the very least. And while you could drop the regular ANSI variant (the one with the short Enter key) and have most of your users (minus the US ones, where the short Enter key is more common, iirc) be mostly satisfied with the Enter key (and quite a few of them dissatisfied with the size of the Backspace key), JIS and ABNT would make it so that you’d need rows with one more key, which would be blank keys in a lot of layouts, but muscle memory would dictate you’d be frequently missing key strokes.

Another thing to consider is that membrane and chicklet type keyboard mechanisms (which pretty much all laptops use) are not designed to be neither user-replaceable nor changed frequently (the mechanisms are VERY tiny and fiddly).

So, while I think this would be an awesome idea, not only for the Framework laptop but also for keyboards in general (though mechanical keyboards usually allow for easy-ish cap exchange), it would be completely impractical IMO, and quite possibly increase the final asking price for the laptop, to little to no advantage, and a bunch of RMAs from people who messed up changing keys and/or accidentally dislodged them.

1 Like

Being Portuguese I agree that the keyboard seems to have nothing out of place. I can confirm that the € symbol can be obtained via AltGr+E or AltGr+5 and 90% of keyboards have it printed.

1 Like

I really appreciated an option to purchase a keyboard with a proper Danish keyboard layout. Which looks correct btw. As another user mentioned, the Scandinavian keyboards are very similar, but not identical. Having a key that NOT has the characters Æ Ø and Ö printed on it, right next to another key with the characters Æ Ø and Ä on it, is definitely going to improve UX, no matter we “eventually will hit the right one.” :wink:

4 Likes

Swiss looks mostly good. There is one small difference to one of the usual keyboard layouts I encountered. It concerns the ä, ö and ü buttons.

The layout used by at least Lenovo has the brackets between the letters:

This is mostly a question of taste, so it might be good if others chimed in as well. Based on the mockups, I prefer the variant used by Framework.

2 Likes

Danish looks correct. Checked with my other keyboards.

1 Like