[RESOLVED] Monitoring AMD Temperature from Linux

Hiya - I was looking to monitor my temps from my Fedora installation, but I don’t see it in lm-sensors

[~] nick@scooty-puff-jr$ sensors
amdgpu-pci-c100
Adapter: PCI adapter
vddgfx:        1.10 V  
vddnb:       854.00 mV 
edge:         +52.0°C  
PPT:          14.03 W  

ucsi_source_psy_USBC000:003-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0:           5.00 V  (min =  +5.00 V, max =  +5.00 V)
curr1:         0.00 A  (max =  +1.50 A)

ucsi_source_psy_USBC000:001-isa-0000
in0:           0.00 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
curr1:         0.00 A  (max =  +0.00 A)

BAT1-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
in0:          16.82 V  
curr1:         1.15 A  

k10temp-pci-00c3
Tctl:         +61.2°C  

ucsi_source_psy_USBC000:004-isa-0000
in0:           0.00 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
curr1:         0.00 A  (max =  +0.00 A)

ucsi_source_psy_USBC000:002-isa-0000
in0:           5.00 V  (min =  +5.00 V, max =  +5.00 V)
curr1:         0.00 A  (max =  +1.50 A)

nvme-pci-0200
Composite:    +40.9°C  (low  =  -5.2°C, high = +89.8°C)
                       (crit = +93.8°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +48.8°C  (crit = +210.0°C)
temp2:        +46.8°C  (crit = +210.0°C)
temp3:        +45.8°C  (crit = +210.0°C)
temp4:        +60.8°C  (crit = +210.0°C)

Is there something I need to do to get these to read? I’m sure the amdgpu ones are pretty close, but I’m still curious to see core temps

2 Likes

It is ; it’s the k10temp-pci-00c3 value

1 Like

Also if you want to monitor instantaneous core Watt and Total Package wattage (as well as c and boost states) turbostat is the tool

1 Like

And if you’re looking for a nice web based ui; then:$dnf install cockpit ; systemctl enable --now cockpit.socket

also provides temp monitoring; as well as PCP counter bits if you turn it on

2 Likes

Oh, huh. Is there a way to get per-core temp or is this as good as it gets?

1 Like

The acpitz-acpi-0
Outputs are sensors around the Die as reported back by telemetry probes in the CPU to the Mobo ; and is going to be as granular as you get.

The CPU is a Single CCD Complex in the 7840 so individual core temps won’t tell you much anyway. Turbostat is the most granular / accurate reading you can get; I guess you could try and match the acpitz probe reading to group cores based on per core watt use with a bit of awk/sed/grep

1 Like

Gotcha. Thank you!

1 Like

There was an out of tree kernel module for earlier revisions of zen that was hacky poke to probe the amd SMU but it’s not functional for zen4 (and it never really worked for zen3 very well either). I vaguely remember discussions on the LKML that amd are working for a more maintainable/upstream friendly set of SMU tooling for linux so fingers crossed this makes it’s way into an upstream codebase in the next 12months

2 Likes

That’s it87 yeah? I use that on my NAS (Ryzen 2600), which would line up with what you’re saying.

1 Like

No idea GitHub - leogx9r/ryzen_smu: A Linux kernel driver that exposes access to the SMU (System Management Unit) for certain AMD Ryzen Processors. Read only mirror of https://gitlab.com/leogx9r/ryzen_smu

Embedded and server boards tend to implement ipmi/drac/ilo/BMC ish layers on top of the SMU and expose them so it’s likely just something platform/OEM specific to the mobo integrator

2 Likes

Everything jwp said, marking resolved.

1 Like

How can I do this on Ubuntu 22.04?

sudo sensors-detect reports:

Sorry, no sensors were detected.
This is relatively common on laptops, where thermal management is
handled by ACPI rather than the OS.

sensors should output the platform sensors without detecting anything. You get output from sensors when run without arguments yah?

2 Likes

That works. Funny!

Thanks for the hint.

Any suggestion how to display the cpu temperature in the top bar of the GUI on Ubuntu?

Using psensor now, happy! :grinning:

1 Like

Sorry I don’t bother customising gnome for some years; there is probably an extension somewhere.

I use sway/Plasma mostly with gnome as a fallback.

1 Like