[RESPONDED] 11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.17 Release

@Kieran_Levin bumping this, since I just noticed that the latest fwupd changelog (in testing for F38 for example) contains:

Use a CapsuleOnDisk filename supported by InsydeH2O

1 Like

I’d like to avoid opening a support ticket for this since I know they’re swamped: do we have an ETA on the firmware to enable the new battery to use full capacity on the 11th gen? My new expanded capacity battery is just sitting on my shelf and 11% would make all the difference going into the school year. Thanks!

1 Like

I know they’re swamped

“Swamped” is a choice. Orders for the 16 vastly exceeded predictions which means so will profits. They could chose to funnel that windfall into more staff to help get un-swamped.

I’m beginning to think that everyone on these BIOS update threads should open a support ticket so the issues will show up in official metrics where they’re more likely to be noticed by decision-makers.


At this point, they have only gotten $100 for each pre-order, while there may be a lot of them, they are also likely trying to recoup money from the creation of the laptops and save up some money for building the next batch. Framework are not stupid, and take staffing decisions seriously. You can’t just make more employees appear out of thin air. Even if they started hiring more staff the instant they realized that they were going to get way more pre-orders than they thought I doubt they would be ready to go by now.

I’m all for criticizing bad customer service, but this is clearly not a choice. Framework knows that people want this, and they are trying their hardest even with all the firmware issues they are experiencing with AMD, delays from Insyde, and still being a small team.


That’s exactly what they’re doing. It takes time to get more support agents onboarded.


It is the same for Gen12. No ETA, no information, nothing for months, 9 months for Gen12.

1 Like

Few things.

When we release something, it must undergo extensive testing. So yes, this is an ongoing process and not one that has been abandoned.

We are very aware of it. However, this is absolutely not going to make things faster. I appreciate the sense of urgency, but this statement is neither helpful or constructive.

The TLTR is we’ve heard you and once I have updates, I will be posting them immediately.

I appreciate everyone’s patience. As soon as I have an update, I will be posting to this thread.

Your feedback is valid, it has been heard and we’re working on getting you an update.

We now ask for your continued patience while we get you a proper status report.


Thank you for writing this and having patience with us users. I wish you, the devs and support the time and energy to continue. Im ofcourse looking forward to news, updates and especially a relatively stable bios update.
Have a wonderful day, you all.


Thanks @CodeAsm, it’s appreciated.


Just a note that we are in release preparation for the next BIOS release at the moment for 11th Gen. We do have the Windows version of the next Beta release currently, but we’ve been delayed on preparing the Linux version of it. Our goal is to always be able to release Windows and Linux versions simultaneously.

Starting with this release and going forward, we are revamping our BIOS release process overall. Our mission is focused on product longevity, and ongoing software support is a key part of that.
We’ll be sharing more detail on this, but some of the changes will include:

  1. When we launch a Beta, we’ll be sharing the target schedule for promotion from Beta to final release. Our default schedule will be two weeks. If we see feedback from the community around new regressions or other issues with the release, we’ll determine whether we need additional time in Beta or a follow on release before final. In each case, we’ll make sure to communicate any schedule changes.
  2. We’re working with our upstream suppliers on getting dedicated staffing into place for sustaining software development. This means we’ll be able to resolve some of the delays we’ve had thus far in timely BIOS releases. Note that with this, we’ll have dedicated support in place within Framework, with the upstream supplier to us (Compal), and the upstream supplier to them (Insyde). However, there will still be suppliers further upstream of that (e.g. Intel or other silicon vendors) that we have less visibility or control over.

@nrp This is greatly appreciated. Lack of timeliness in communication has become my no.1 gripe with your product but hearing that you guys are restructuring your release process gives me hope here. Thank you.

I am most gratified to read this in particular

As it was beginning to feel like Framework was pivoting to new product release after new product release and leaving the rest of us behind (to me). So thank you again.


I love that you’re still supporting us 11th Gen folks. Much appreciated!


I am trying to update to 3.17 but having some issues going the USB route. Is LVFS preferable?

I downloaded the zip file and moved the extracted file to a USB (exFAT) but when I reboot (with secure boot disabled) and go into choose the device I want to boot from the USB is not listed.

I strongly suspect the issue is exFAT. Try it on a thumb drive formatted with plain FAT32.

1 Like

11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.19 is ready for BETA release. But first, some background.

  1. We’ve been delayed on BIOS updates due to issues we found in the update process, especially on Linux, and due to staffing constraints at our ODM partner. We’re working with them to enable more consistent staffing for sustaining work on launched programs. Note that there is a matching firmware update in progress for 12th Gen Intel Core, and the release schedule has been slow due to these issues.

  2. On general philosophy is to have complete firmware out of the box when we launch a product. In general, we don’t plan to have new features that we add post-launch. Instead, post-launch updates are for issues that are found in the field or for security updates that we receive from our upstream firmware suppliers, which include the silicon vendor like Intel or AMD along with our BIOS supplier, Insyde.

  3. Our target timeline to go from Beta launch in the community to final release is two weeks. We monitor the community thread to find if there are regressions in the release that would prevent promotion to final. Note that while both we and our ODM partner do testing on the release prior to the Beta, there is still the potential for issues we didn’t catch, so we recommend only using Beta firmware if you are comfortable with that risk.

:checkered_flag: Note that because this is a Beta release. :checkered_flag:

We recommend only updating to it if you are comfortable with the risk of there being stability or functionality regressions. Our general Beta testing plan is to stay in the Beta period for two weeks and monitor feedback around any issues. If there are no substantial new issues found, we will then promote the release to final.

You can check your current BIOS version following the steps here to determine if you are on the latest release.




Instructions for Windows Installer:

  1. Run the .exe.
  2. If prompted to trust the Framework driver signature, click agree.
  3. Click yes to reboot.
  4. Wait for all 3 firmware progress bars to complete as the installer will install 3 different firmware updates and will then reboot into Windows.

Linux/Other/UEFI Shell update

In order to avoid delaying Beta testing further, we’re releasing the Windows updater first. We do intend to have an UEFI Shell based updater available for those on Linux or other OS’s.


There will not be an LVFS update for this specific release because it has an Intel CSME update, which can’t be delivered through LVFS. Use the UEFI Shell update method instead for this release.


  1. Update Intel CSME package to Corporate.
  2. Move to shared EC branch with 11th, 12th, 13th gen.


  1. Insyde security patch to fix CVE-2017-5715.
  2. Fix SMBIOS type2 location on chassis string6.
  3. Add ACPI mutex in UCSI mailbox with EC to avoid race condition with other ec communication.
  4. Fixed LED blink green when EC power on.
  5. Fixed cannot power on EC chip.
  6. Reduce charger input current limit to 0 when switching between type-c port in a multiple adapter scenario.

Component Versions

This BIOS update is a bundle of updates to multiple embedded components in the system.

Not all of them use the same version number.

BIOS 3.19 Updated
EC f6d6b92 Updated
PD Same as previous version
Intel CSME Updated

Known Issues


IhisiServicesSmm BRLY-SA-2023023/CVE-2023-22613
BdsDxe BRLY-2022-021/CVE-2022-35897
SetupUtility BRLY-2022-020/CVE-2022-35407
PiSmmCpuDxeSmm BRLY-2022-028-RsbStuffing
IhisiServicesSmm BRLY-SA-2023021/CVE-2023-22615

Big takeaway, please test, report back on this thread and @ me here so I can track anything you experience needing attention.

Thanks :slight_smile:


Just tried it but to no avail.

Tried the LVFS route but I don’t see uefi_capsule.conf in the /etc/fwupd/ unless I was supposed to create a new file. There is a file called fwupd.conf but it doesn’t have a line with DisableCapsuleUpdateOnDisk.

Just a reminder ^^

1 Like

Will they be fixed in the stable release or will there be another beta release to fix those?