[RESPONDED] 11th gen signficantly better sleep battery life?

I’m on a i5-1135G7 FW 13.
Seems to be after kernel 6.9 (6.8 maybe?) that sleep battery life suddenly got exceedingly good.
~3% drain overnight (from something like 20-30% before)!
Just posting here cause I’m curious to see if anyone else here has had a similar experience.

2 Likes

Interesting observation. I may have check this one on the 11th Gen,
What’s you distro? DE, Services and usage could also be a factor.

@Shiroudan I’d also be curious to know what distro and desktop environment you’re using. Also - Wayland or X?
Thanks

I’d also be very interested. Running Fedora 40, Plasma 6, Wayland, with the laptop set to deep sleep, I’m using just under 1% per hour overnight. It’s never gotten better than that.

1 Like

This is about where my i5-1135g7 is also (~1% per hour), with either a fresh Fedora 40 install or Windows 11 (different SSDs, swapped out to test). I can’t decide whether to spring for a 12th or 13th gen board and hope it’s better, or just write the whole thing off and get something less conceptually ‘cool’ but works properly. I’m tired of dealing with it.

This is a stupid ‘fix’ that shouldn’t work, but it did for me. I’m posting it here in case anyone else is still experiencing battery drain issues w/ 11th gen boards on Windows.

I enabled hibernation, and then under the ‘advanced’ settings set the computer to hibernate after 30 minutes. Now, when I shut down, the battery drain finally stops.

It’s stupid since I always shut down, but if it works I guess it works.

My “solution” is either to shut down if I’m serious about keeping the battery up or planning more than 10~ hours away from the computer, or live with the status quo and try to have a plug available. (At least that’s fairly easily achievable with USB-C power being common now.)

It’s annoying, but I don’t believe it’s sub-par. Certainly my Dell laptop from work, running Windows 10, is much worse. The industry’s in a pathetic state right now. I don’t think Framework’s modularity is playing a causal role here, is my point (unless we’re talking USB-A expansion cards, in which case, eugh); it’s more that Intel + PC hardware vendors in general can’t get their shit together.

… are you saying that previously you’d shut down the computer and get battery drain after shutting down? That’s a new one to me, a distinct issue from what’s in this thread.

Yes, I shut it down (I don’t put it to sleep or hibernate ever), and even so it would lose 1-2% per hour when I don’t use it. This is a batch 3 FW13 so I’ve been putting up with this for a while - both under Windows (10 and 11) and under Linux, current BIOS, etc.
I’m glad most of the folks who post have better experiences - mine has been hit and miss.

I posted in this thread because this fix was sleep-related, even if the problem was not.

1 Like