[TRACKING] 13th gen intel on linux

Hey can anyone report on the battery life for any of the 13th gen intel boards using linux?

Most reviews are using windows

Also does the 13th gen have S3 sleep in the bios?

5 Likes

hi @Challenge4168 ,

will try to get some real numbers with ubuntu/fedora soon,

not yet aware if there’s any recently, but if there is will definitely track, labeling this as tracking for now.

1 Like

@Loell_Framework thank you! I use Fedora and if the improvements make a difference on Linux I’d order an Intel mainboard

13th gen using this guide sees a workday’s worth of battery life through the day. DP expansion card power savings update can be found here. Linux firmware updater for DP expansion card is in testing for a beta community release in the near future.

1 Like

@Matt_Hartley thank you for sharing, I’m going to try this on my 11th gen and hopefully it helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am running Linux Mint 21.2. The OS reports battery life at full charge of 5~7 hours. However, I believe that under what I would call light use (i.e. checking email and web browsing), it could last several hours more as I am usually seeing that when the OS reports 50%, it still shows 4 hours left.

I have been using the laptop for about a month at this point. I am sure that if you turn off the keyboard backlight and reduce screen brightness, you could easily get much more. Honestly, the screen has enough brightness, you might actually want to do this in many environments.

I have not done any specific battery life testing at this point. These are just my anecdotal observations and feelings.

All valid. And for 13th Gen, you’ll want to make sure our TLP guide is in use.

Because it matters to some and for future reference, here is the hardware I have been running in my laptop:

CPU: Intel i5-1340P
Battery: 55 Wh
Storage: Samsung M.2 NVMe 990 Pro 1TB
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws SO-DIMM 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Model F4-3200C18D-16GRS
Expansion Cards:

• USB-C
  • USB-A
  • USB-A
  • HDMI (3rd Gen)

Specifically, I am running Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon Edge which is currently using the Linux Kernel 6.2
The laptop is also typically connected to the local network with the 5GHz radio.

Hi Mr. Hartley,
Thanks for the response. I recently watched yout part of the battery life comparison live stream where you talked about the TLP guide. I see that there are guides for Fedora and Ubuntu. Should I assume correctly that you suggest I use the Ubuntu TLP guide as Linux Mint build on Ubuntu?
Are you aware of any issues that TLP might have with anything built into Mint but not Ubuntu that I should be aware of?

Great questions.

As per the guide for Ubuntu, we recommend TLP for Intel configurations and we are recommending PPD for AMD configurations.

Biggest issue with Mint will be the kernel not matching with OEM C.