[RESPONDED] AMD 7040 Linux - Boiling hot, stuck in sleep(?)

oh jeez! If it’s happening in both Fedora and Windows, I wonder if it could be resolved with a BIOS update. Question, I’m curious as to why you haven’t upgraded to Fedora 40?

I honestly just hadn’t got around to it. The auto-update tool in Fedora kept giving me errors every time I tried so I just need backup my most important things and just do a fresh install of 40.

Try these commands, per recommendation by a friend who’s a Red Hat engineer, for upgrading to the next release of Fedora:

sudo dnf upgrade --refresh -y
sudo dnf install dnf-plugin-system-upgrade -y
sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=40 -y
sudo dnf system-upgrade reboot

Have since upgraded and so far no more heating issues…however…the stuck in sleep state is still occurring, which still results in me having to hard shutdown.

If you download this script that Matt H mentioned, and run it from terminal, what are the results?
I’ve recorded my terminal session here to give an example run of it.

Hi. I experinenced this issue with Dell w/ Ryzen 8040. I have seen it only once in 10 days, with kernel-6.9.

Thus it must be a kernel issue, but somehow I can’t find any similar reports outside of frame.work. (There’s another report at frame.work 3 days ago.)

IIRC it didn’t resume, so I rebooted and the sensors (1) reported some are > 90°C. Mine reads like this:

dell_smm-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Processor Fan: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM, max = 4818 RPM)
Other: +43.0°C
CPU: +43.0°C
Ambient: +44.0°C
SODIMM: +41.0°C
Other: +16.0°C
temp6: +43.0°C
temp7: +43.0°C
temp8: +43.0°C
temp9: +43.0°C
temp10: +43.0°C

At that time temp6 - temp10 were abnormally hot. (There’s also other sensors, like GPU or SSD, but they were ok.)

To mitigate the issue, I put my PC into sleep and leave it for a while. Later I touch and check the temperature is normal. ;)

It’s great that Mario Limonciello from AMD reads this forum. \(ツ)/

1 Like

By the way if you have Ryzen 7040 or 8040 be careful with 6.7+ and 6.10:

• 6.7+ kernels may be unbootable. To avoid it, add
    blacklist amd_sfh
    in your /etc/modprobe.d/* or elsewhere. The fix is almost done.
    (In fact my kernel loads that module, but with that line the system is usable.)
  • 6.10 has a problem playing video. It is said that the system will freeze.

Thanks @teika_kazura for directing me to this thread. This, or something that sounds very similar, is still an issue on Fedora 40 (FW 16 in my case) and gave me a pretty terrifying surprise at the airport last week.