[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

The Kingston RAM you mentioned has been confirmed to work by multiple users, but I haven’t heard anything about that specific ADATA RAM.

2 Likes

Glad to be on board the hype train! :partying_face:

1 Like

If I’m not totally wrong, that looks like a full size DIMM module and will not fit into the laptop. You need SO-DIMM. However if you want to get ADATA RAM, the official Framework modules are from them.

Yeah, as @Jonathan_Haas said, that looks like a full-size desktop DIMM, not a laptop SO-DIMM.

But, if you don’t like paying the Framework markup but still want ADATA modules, a German-language website has what seem to be the same ones direct from ADATA (AD5S560032G, the only 32G-byte non-Framework ones with “full validation” on the compatibility list). Note that’s not a kit, so you’ll want to buy two.

1 Like

Thx @Alex_Shpilkin and @Jonathan_Haas I went with the Kingston ones. And indeed I was kinda sloopy searching for the ADATA ones.

1 Like

@Juan_A_Sanchez I’d be surprised if the chip in the Audio Expansion Card is either of those. Based on NRP’s posted from quite a while ago (linked below), it’s probably a USB DAC similar to the one he links. FWIW, I really like the Audio Expansion Card. I sounds markedly better than the tempo chip in my 11th gen FW. Even my 80 Ohm DT770 Pro headphones sound quite good, and there’s loads of headroom for me to turn the volume up as high as I like.
I cracked open my audio expansion card, but I didn’t see any part numbers that looked easily google-able. I also couldn’t figure out how to make Windows tell me what chip is in side. I’d be willing to try again on either of those if you have a suggestion of how to find the chip info.

Hello to all of the AMD Batch 1 folks. Mods, please feel free to move this post to the appropriate thread; sorry to clutter up this one.

1 Like

If you’re so inclined, booting a Linux ISO from any recent distro and then in a terminal:
lsusb
alsactl info
might shed some light.

edit: here’s the alsactl output on an early Realtek-equipped gen11:

$ alsactl info
#
# Sound card
#
- card: 0
  id: PCH
  name: HDA Intel PCH
  longname: HDA Intel PCH at 0x605d1c8000 irq 180
  driver_name: HDA-Intel
  mixer_name: Realtek ALC295
  components: HDA:10ec0295,f1110001,00100002 HDA:80862812,80860101,00100000
  controls_count: 47

Thanks for the suggestion. Thoughts on the output?

> lsusb
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
> Bus 003 Device 004: ID 27c6:609c Shenzhen Goodix Technology Co.,Ltd. Goodix USB2.0 MISC
> Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0781:5599 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Dial
> Bus 003 Device 006: ID 32ac:0010 Framework Audio Expansion Card
> Bus 003 Device 005: ID 8087:0026 Intel Corp. AX201 Bluetooth
> Bus 003 Device 007: ID 090c:2000 Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan (formerly Feiya Technology Corp.) Flash Disk
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> 
> 
> alsactl info
> #
> # Sound card
> #
> - card: 0
>   id: PCH
>   name: HDA Intel PCH
>   longname: HDA Intel PCH at 0x605d1c8000 irq 190
>   driver_name: HDA-Intel
>   mixer_name: IDT 92HD95
>   components: HDA:111d7695,f1110001,00100101 HDA:80862812,80860101,00100000
>   controls_count: 48
>   pcm:
>     - stream: PLAYBACK
>       devices:
>         - device: 0
>           id: 92HD95 Analog
>           name: 92HD95 Analog
>           subdevices:
>             - subdevice: 0
>               name: subdevice #0
>         - device: 3
>           id: HDMI 0
>           name: HDMI 0
>           subdevices:
>         - device: 7
>           id: HDMI 1
>           name: HDMI 1
>           subdevices:
>         - device: 8
>           id: HDMI 2
>           name: HDMI 2
>           subdevices:
>         - device: 9
>           id: HDMI 3
>           name: HDMI 3
>           subdevices:
>     - stream: CAPTURE
>       devices:
>           id: 92HD95 Analog
>           name: 92HD95 Analog
>           subdevices:
>   hwdep:
>     - device: 0
>       id: HDA Codec 0
>       name: HDA Codec 0
>       iface: 16
>     - device: 2
>       id: HDA Codec 2
>       name: HDA Codec 2
>       iface: 16
> #
> # Sound card
> #
> - card: 1
>   id: Card
>   name: Audio Expansion Card
>   longname: Framework Audio Expansion Card at usb-0000:00:14.0-3, high speed
>   driver_name: USB-Audio
>   mixer_name: USB Mixer
>   components: USB32ac:0010
>   controls_count: 8
>   pcm:
>     - stream: PLAYBACK
>       devices:
>           id: USB Audio
>           name: USB Audio
>           subdevices:
>     - stream: CAPTURE
>       devices:
>           id: USB Audio
>           name: USB Audio
>           subdevices:

Thanks for that. I guess I’ll need to do some testing to compare it to my portable dacs to see which one sounds better

5 posts were split to a new topic: Blue Screens on 7040 Series

3 posts were split to a new topic: DisplayPort Expansion Card Issues on AMD BIOS 3.03

4 posts were split to a new topic: AMD 7040 Series Crashing on Windows 11

Hey, Folks! Please create dedicated threads for troubleshooting rather than posting in the guild thread. Troubleshooting multiple issues in the same thread makes it extremely difficult to follow the conversation. It also makes it difficult for others who are having the same problem to search for it.

Guild threads should be used to discuss batch-specific things, such as status updates, and to talk to others who are playing the same waiting game as you.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I wonder if I’m the only person in batch 1 who hasn’t received their order yet.

You ordered a batch 1 Framework Laptop 13 (AMD 7040 Series)? Did you receive any of the batch update emails?

I ordered an upgrade kit in batch 1 and it was shipped along with everyone else’s, but Fedex seems to have lost track of it at one of their larger distro centers. Last I spoke to them they were asking what was in the box, did I have pictures of it, etc. I also put a support request in with Framework to see if they could do something from their end, but they’ve been swamped I think.

Ah RIP. When did you reach out to FW support?

Wednesday last week when they said they explicitly said they were not escalating support issues. C’est la vie!

Early impressions of the 61w battery upgrade of my 7640u. Estimations seems to place it around a 38% increase.

In my initial test on Windows 11 and some power settings I managed to get 4 hours and 52 minutes running a 4k YouTube continuously. More if it were just using browser and some low load apps. For example when using this laptop for a 4 hour D&D session (only using browser and notepad) I managed to consume like 50% at best.
Now with the 61w I’m looking at an estimated 6 hours and 44 minutes.

We’ll have to see if it’ll actually reach that number but that would be an insane increase!

Side question though. Ever since I replaced the battery, the laptop is slow to boot up cold. Usually it would be extremely snappy. Only when booting up not cold would it replicate that same speed.

1 Like

Just so you know, BIOS .03 for FW13 Ryzen is finally out.
I applied it via UEFI and everything went through without any hitches.

For further details and questions regarding the topic you might want to follow this thread.

1 Like