[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

thank you @TheTwistgibber for the reply and meaningful detail. godspeed.

Those seem really nice! I need to look further into Universal Blue I haven’t tried it and I haven’t seen anyone using it yet, so I have no idea how it looks like. The idea behind it seems top notch though.

I read that fedora also has a Sway Immutable version. So many cool options!

1 Like

I was thinking of given nixos a try but sadly at the moment don’t have a lor of time to mess with it so I’m just going for fedora workstation

Hmm… I was going to go vanilla Fedora, but I guess it’ couldn’t hurt to try Silver Blue(?) instead. If I don’t like it within a few days or so It’s not like I’ll have lost anything important. On occasion I’ve used Toolbox on my desktop machine, or DistroBox on the Steam Deck… That’s like 50% the way there right?

What do people intend to do first when they get theirs? Assuming the fall weather hasn’t set in too hard in Minnesota by that time, I’m going to install my dev tools and do some work-from-hammock in the back yard. My previous laptop died randomly a couple months ago, and I haven’t been able to enjoy the nice September weather. :frowning:

I’m going to install fedora. I’ve never daily driven Linux before so I’m pretty keen.

I’m also going out of country on October 17, so I’m really hoping things line up so it arrives before I leave. but I guess we will seeee :eyes:

@Jordan_Long As promised. Updated knowledge base article which includes additional compatibility information and a tested/validated retail RAM module list as of a couple minutes ago:

19 Likes

Oooh, this is exciting. Just curious what “full validation” means.

Is there much beyond verifying that it boots and runs at the advertised speed?

so who’s going to experiment with the 48GB modules? 96GB total would be a trip on a laptop like this.

I bought this one today. G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR5 SO-DIMM Series DDR5 RAM 64GB (2x32GB) 5600MT/s CL40-40-40-89 1.10V Unbuffered Non-ECC Notebook/Laptop Memory SODIMM (F5-5600S4040A32GX2-RS)

Features & details

• 64GB kit containing 2 x 32GB modules, DDR5-5600, 262-Pin, CAS Latency CL40 (40-40-40-89) at 1.10V (Intel XMP)
  • ECC: No, Channel: Dual, Recommended Use: High Performance or Gaming Memory
  • XMP profile support to reach up to the rated overclock speed, or run at default JEDEC profile speed
  • Rated XMP frequency & stability depends on MB & CPU capability
  • G.Skill Specifications page: F5-5600S4040A32GX2-RS - Specification - G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd.
  • Do not mix memory kits. Memory kits are sold in matched kits that are designed to run together as a set. Mixing memory kits will result in stability issues or system failure.

@TheTwistgibber Great stuff, thanks for the update.

In regards to trying modules not on that list, could you provide feedback on the following:

1. If a module has an integrated heat spreader, is there any space available for such a memory stick, or is there zero wiggle room for that?
  2. If a module has chips on both sides, does that create challenges?

Forgive me if the second question is a bit ignorant, as I’m not as familiar with DDR5 SODIMM modules and I couldn’t immediately tell how common it is for such configurations.

TIA

I’ll partially answer my own questions. Brain only firing and a few neurons here.

On the list provided earlier today, I see that a set of Mushkin Redline modules are included and those have a heat spreader, so it appears there is at least some wiggle room for such a thing. Need to research further the second question.

2 Likes

Is this ram compatible too ? Crucial 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5-5600 SODIMM | CT2K16G56C46S5 | Crucial FR

4 Likes

I got this ages ago when we for whatever reason thought batch 1 was early q3 haha. I’m hoping it works because I’m well out of return window.

1 Like

I hope you all will revisit this list once the AMD launch frenzy subsides, because none of the third-party modules people have been discussing on this forum are on it (various Crucial, G.Skill, and Kingston ones — the main filter seems to be Amazon availability, which among the 5600MT/s modules you have included means only the strange non-power-of-two Mushkin).

Nevertheless, thank you so much for getting around to this among all the other things! I know you didn’t have to promise this testing, and it’s very nice to see you fulfilling that promise, before the ship date no less.

5 Likes

@Projector6522
I bought that same ram as well thinking it would be the safest bet. I’m pretty sure it will work fine.

I am trying that, because I couldn’t resist. We’ll see how it turns out :smiley:

Edit: I am a bit surprised though. The help entry links to drm/amd: Disable S/G for APUs when 64GB or more host memory · torvalds/linux@08fffa7 · GitHub, but I would expect drm/amd/display: fix the white screen issue when >= 64GB DRAM (ef064187) · Commits · Alex Deucher / linux · GitLab to be the patch you would want to apply?

1 Like

I’ve tried nixos some years ago and it was really interesting. I didn’t get used to nix though. Maybe I should try again.

The awesome part is that you can manage packages and configuration using a single config file.

This is the way. Before moving 100% to my new machine I’ll also probably poke around with a few distros first.

Oh yeah! Welcome to linux! You’ll probably learn a lot!
Happy hacking!

3 Likes

Yeah that is the dream. Configure it ones, push it to my GitHub andt then just run one command anytime I reinstall nixos to have system just how I like it

2 Likes

Anyone else checking their inbox a little more than usual for a “payment confirmation” email? :wink:

8 Likes