From what they’ve said in the past, depending on the issue, they may ask you to test a supported OS version on a live USB or something like that to see if the issue persists. This will help with troubleshooting and verifying if it’s a hardware issue or an OS issue. Beyond that, you may get some “unofficial” help, even from Framework employees here on the forum in attempting to solve issues with unofficial Linux versions.
You certainly won’t be totally hung out to dry, but they may not be able to help with all issues since you are using an OS that they simply haven’t had time to text extensively.
I wouldn’t jump to that conclusion just yet, but congratulations on your new baby!
I requested to have some of expansion cards removed and it took them 33 hours to respond. My guess is that the (roughly) six month delay between pre-order and fulfillment has led to a high amount of order change/cancellation requests. Procrastination is common and paying $100 to reserve something is very different from paying $1000 (especially when you know the down payment is refundable).
I believe it’s been mentioned that they only have one person covering these requests right now, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they needed until tomorrow to get through all pending requests. Afterall, the three day grace period would have only elapsed on Friday around 12-1pm.
If they were able to pull someone to help process the requests and/or the customer service people worked through the weekend, maybe we’ll see charges today. Otherwise, I would not expect them until tomorrow.
They would also want to make sure they had support available for rectifying billing issues, so that could be another reason (absent a backlog issue) for not charging on Friday.
But remember, the longer they delay processing payments, the more likely it becomes that that will have to deal with more change requests and cancellations (even with a well defined grace period).
We should see some charges within the next 48 hours. Any longer than that, and there may very well be some kind of internal issue. I still wouldn’t lean on production being the culprit, given all that has been communicated thus far. I don’t think they would’ve given the green light unless they were reasonably certain they were ready to.
Hopefully at least some of the Day 1 orders will go out this week or early next; however, as it has been stated, order complexity and parts availability may mean that some orders may be fulfilled after others that were placed later.
I’d assume that there probably is nothing wrong. Based on the email FW sent on the 26th, they said there would be a grace period, but that we are only in batch preparation, and that units won’t ship until 1-3 weeks from the email date.
We’re in continuous production now, and expect to ship your order out between one and three weeks from today
Here is what to expect:
We’ll let you know if we can’t capture your payment for the remaining balance of your pre-order or if your order will be delayed for any reason.
##### Pre-order confirmed
Sent when the pre-order is placed.
##### Preparing the batch
Sent to everyone in the batch. Payment will be collected prior to shipment within the communicated shipping window.
##### Payment complete
Sent when we capture the balance on your order. Our warehouse will prepare your pre-order for shipment within 1-3 business days after payment is complete.
##### Shipment notification
Sent when your order ships and contains the tracking number.
If they plan to ship within 1-3 weeks, and charge withing 1-3 days of shipping, that means there could be 1-3 weeks between the charge, so I wouldn’t get too worried about the charge timeline. We clearly broke through the Q3 goal, and the procrastinated/last minute order changes are real, so if there’s one thing I know for sure, its that framework will need some more time to actually make the order modifications prior to charging and shipping. This isn’t an issue in production, but rather the way it was designed so that these functional changes can occur and the community can be appropriately supported from order, to purchase, to receipt, and ownership. This is one of FW’s primary ecommerce/retail goals and their support has been phenomenal.
Will the new AMD version still be the right size for the standard 13-inch Framework dbrand skin? I’m planning to order mine so they arrive around the same time, considering that the dbrand skin will have a longer delivery time compared to the laptop in my region.
A question about using Silverblue - it seems very tempting but would it prevent us from being able to access Framework Support? I know it’s the same kernel etc as the supported OS but presumably the experience is different enough that it might invalidate support.
Silverblue is still Fedora. Same versions, same drivers, same code base. I guess maybe rpm-ostree might add some variance, but I doubt it. Should be fine.
So the gist of the updated e-mail, it’s so new, AMD’s latest firmware caused a linux kernel driver regression that causes system hangs. Use F39 Beta and Ubuntu 22.04.3 + guide to get the best results. Firmware updates will be frequent and because of how new it is, they are providing an extended return period.
Getting ready for your Batch 1 Framework Laptop 13 (Ryzen 7040 Series)
We’re starting the first shipments of Batch 1 Framework Laptop 13 (Ryzen 7040 Series) systems and Mainboards shortly. We’re so excited to see what you think of yours. Because this is the first set of AMD-based systems we’ve ever shipped and software and firmware has come in a lot hotter than on previous launches, we anticipate launching at least one and possibly more BIOS and driver updates over the next month. To make sure you get the opportunity to really put your laptop through the paces, we’re going to extend the return window for you to 45 days.
’re so excited to see what you think of yours. Because this is the first set of AMD-based systems we’ve ever shipped and software and firmware has come in a lot hotter than on previous launches, we anticipate launching at
Hahaha. We are waiting for 12th gen FIRST bios update for more than 12 monthes !
We wait so long, they closed the topic
And this was not supposed to be a trouble some update (11th gen intel then 12th gen), with AMD it looks like there are lots of software problems at launch. Lets say 24 monthes to get an update in my book
I hate doing bios update outside the warranty period, just in case It bricks
Let s see
Anyhow, I appreciat the work they do, hope they can go through those hard work times…
Tensions ran a little high so they temporarily closed it, not because of how long it has been taking. As a current 12th gen owner upgrading to the Ryzen 7 board, I’m sure it was a really difficult choice for them on what to prioritize. I think it’s good that they’ve put additional resources behind the AMD launch to ensure a smooth launch and to iron out kinks that will eventually crop up. This will also help improve the Framework 16’s launch later on. Does it suck that 12th gen support is a little lacking? Yes but is it important that a first gen AMD Framework product gets necessary support? Also yes. Eventually, when the launches are well on their way do I think 12th gen will get its update.