[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

Launching the 16" model in Q4 will consume a significant amount of Framework’s resources, especially considering the larger number of buyers and the considerable media attention it has garnered.

This probably means that Framework will have a substantial workload with the 16" model and updates for the 13" AMD model may not receive top priority. They might end up being similar to the 12th Intel BIOS update, which has been expected for quite some time.

1 Like

Good thorough review from Notebookcheck. 12.1 hours battery life on their standard WiFi test. Thermals and fan noise on the high side, comparable, if not higher than the Intel 13th gen - slightly disappointing, but potentially solvable by lowering the tdp.

5 Likes

You make some interesting points, but…

• Given the larger size and new complications, the 16 may not share the same batch sizing as previous releases. While there are roughly twice as many batches (so far), that doesn’t necessarily mean there have been twice as many orders.
  • As they are launching other projects right now, namely the expansion into public B2B sales, I expect Q4 in general is very important to them. Perhaps the 16 is slightly more important, but I would be surprised if it was so important that it eclipsed the 13 entirely.
  • Due to the similar chip architecture, it should be possible for them to repurpose a significant amount of the BIOS from the 13 to the 16. In fact, you could make the argument that they are planning to use BIOS updates for the 13 to ensure the launch of the 16 will go more smoothly.
1 Like

Youtube Review: Matthew Moniz

I agree with this. The boards may share some common parts that may help both products to get better over time as an improvement in one affects the other.

another review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwr14Q4C9gY

4 Likes

“One omission on a laptop that costs this much is a webcam that supports Windows Hello. The webcam is a decent-quality camera with 1080p capture, but it can’t be used for biometric confirmations.”

I actually didn’t know that (I always leave it off anyways). This is actually a “plus” in my book!

3 Likes

Reviews so far seem to paint an inconsistent picture re: Intel comparisons… Wonder if that is somehow reviewer bias or per-unit differences?

I’d prefer it if the SKUs were fairly close in performance, otherwise one camp is going to feel cheated.

1 Like

Yeah, there are results that say it’s better, even or worse than Intel in performance as well as battery life. I wonder what that’s about

1 Like

Same with noise. I’ve read it is both quieter and a bit louder at full tilt.

1 Like

Similarly confused by the reviews as some others in this thread - Ars technica found it to have worse battery life than the intel version here ( Review: Framework Laptop finally gets an AMD Ryzen config—and it’s pretty good | Ars Technica ) while Just Josh on Youtube found it to completely obliterate intel and even rival the Apple Macbook Pro 14 when it comes to power use under load ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwr14Q4C9gY ).

A great showing nonetheless! Now to see if Intel’s Meteor lake will take the efficiency crown as it is purported to :slight_smile:

1 Like

This one I like! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Reviews, AMD Framework-13 Ryzen 7 7840U - Notebookcheck & Arstechnica. “So much better than the Intel version”

Is there a comparison of both AMD versions side by side yet?

1 Like

Looks like all the reviewers only got the 7840U model

3 Likes

None that I’ve seen; it would help someone decide who may be on the fence re: which processor to get, so I imagine it will be done at some point.

Welcome!

I’m glad they did it that way. That should help to normalize the early third party testing results as much as possible. Given the discrepancies so far, adding in other variables would have muddied the water even more.

After reading a few, it’s so weird how mixed these are.

One will say “battery life is much better than the Intel”

Then the next one shows it worse than Intel.

I also saw mixed ones about performance, one showing Intel was better mostly and then amd mostly better.

Wonder why there is so much variation

3 Likes

I’m also wondering this… I don’t think it’s a thermal problem as that doesn’t explain the battery life.
Might be differences in testing methodology, e.g. Windows power states not properly configured.

2 Likes

Different testing methodology and potentially, placing the USB A ports on the back ports (leading to higher power draw). Notebook check did their wifi test while other reviewers use pcmark10 or a video playback loop.

4 Likes

I wonder how many got boards only and threw it in their old-battery systems, and how many got fresh systems

3 Likes