[RESPONDED] Arch Linux - Issues with HDMI extension port

Hello everyone. This is my first post, so please forgive me if this is not the right forum.

I’ve been playing around with my Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series) for a while and been extremely happy.

I’ve installed Arch Linux (latest update 6.6.10-arch1-1) and it has been working pretty well after everything was configured, bar one thing.

The HDMI expansion card has been funky. It sometimes works; sometimes it doesn’t but if I remove and reconnect the cable it does; sometimes I have to restart; and sometimes it persists even past that.

By “does not work” I mean that the connected external monitor is not detected, and does not show up under xrandr. as if there was no cable there, and an error is logged into the system logs. Sometimes (rarely) it does show up but as a weird, one-resolution monitor that doesn’t do anything. Mostly it either works or doesn’t show up at all.

The issue is logged as some driver issue on the kernel:

Output from dsmeg:

[   20.150614] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: ucsi_handle_connector_change: ACK failed (-110)
[   25.484645] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: ucsi_handle_connector_change: ACK failed (-110)
[   25.621683] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: possible UCSI driver bug 1
[   25.621689] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: ucsi_handle_connector_change: GET_CONNECTOR_STATUS failed (-22)

Output from journalctl:

kernel: ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: GET_CONNECTOR_STATUS failed (-5)
kernel: ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: possible UCSI driver bug 2
kernel: ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: UCSI_GET_PDOS failed (-22)
kernel: ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: ucsi_handle_connector_change: ACK failed (-110)
kernel: ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: ucsi_handle_connector_change: GET_CONNECTOR_STATUS failed (-5)
kernel: ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: possible UCSI driver bug 1
kernel: ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: ucsi_handle_connector_change: GET_CONNECTOR_STATUS failed (-22)

I’ve found some similar issues here and there on the forums and elsewhere, but nothing that actually helped with the solution. I am wondering if anyone around has some more concrete information about it. Please let me know!

Some more details about my setup:

• I’m running Linux 6.6.10-arch1-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri, 05 Jan 2024 16:20:41 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  • I did try all the extension slots on the machine, the problem is the same regardless (I didn’t try a different card because I only have one)
  • I am connecting to an HDMI Matrix, it might be exacerbating the problem (not sure) but when I connect to the external monitor directly (a Dell S3220DGF) I still get the same issue.

Thanks in advance for reading and sorry if this is not the right forum to ask for help.

2 Likes

I have the same problem, using Arch too. swaymsg -t get_outputs doesn’t list the monitor

I’m also sometimes having crashes immediately after boot (crashing on login console). Caps lock light blinking

I’ll try removing hdmi port. Things also don’t work when I plug hdmi into usb-c dock which otherwise has everything else working. Crashes have happened with neither dock nor adapter plugged in. & when only adapter is plugged in

Unfortunately it seems kernel panics during boot aren’t logged anywhere, I’ll try take a picture of the panic next time it happens

Also encountered the same problems with blinking caps lock and kernel panics shortly before reaching the login screen. I contacted the support and they are on it.

I’m running some tests right now, including memtest and different connector settings. So far dmesg shows that the ucsi acpi error appears after the hdmi connector is plugged in.

If you have trouble getting the Kernel panic logs, as this was the case for me, I can recommend installing kdumpst from the AUR package repo. It sets up the log Kernel automatically and you get the messages:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kdump

Welcome to the community!

I have not tested against Arch myself, that said, this feels like a bug worthy of reporting with your findings. Here are the guidelines the instructions for doing so.

I have not experienced this on Fedora 39 or Ubuntu 22.04, so I’d bring this to the Arch developer’s attention. If you are able to replicate it on another distro (especially with the same kernel, then let me know and we may need to report this elsewhere.

2 Likes

Respect for Arch user

2 Likes

I’m also running into this same issue with Arch on a similar Framework machine.

[  791.119913] [drm] DMUB HPD callback: link_index=7
[  791.122231] thunderbolt 1-2: device disconnected
[  794.367842] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: ucsi_handle_connector_change: GET_CONNECTOR_STATUS failed (-5)
[  796.218155] thunderbolt 1-2: new device found, vendor=0x3d device=0x11
[  796.218162] thunderbolt 1-2: CalDigit, Inc. TS3 Plus
[  796.333240] [drm] DMUB HPD callback: link_index=7
[  796.398362] amdgpu 0000:c1:00.0: [drm] *ERROR* No EDID read.
[  799.512059] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: ucsi_handle_connector_change: GET_CONNECTOR_STATUS failed (-110)
[  804.845399] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: ucsi_handle_connector_change: ACK failed (-110)

However mine is with a Thunderbolt 3 dock. The dock works fine if I boot with it connected but i’m seeing this odd error whenever I connect it once the laptop is running.

I’ve seen issues with docks and Linux over the years (especially in recent years). We recommend pushing external displays with hardware we can control (expansion cards).

In looking at the Arch wiki, I do not see any indications that the HDMI expansion cards should present issues, however, we have found many folks prefer to use the linux-lts kernel on Arch for reliability. But others have been fine with 6.7.x.

@Peyton_Duncan, @luan

I am/was also experiencing this, but I have a little bit of extra info. I was running into this when using HDMI expansion cards on bottom module bays, but NOT the top ones, along with cheap generic USB-C → HDMI adapters on the bottom modules, but not the top.

I also had issue using USB-C to HDMI adapters from a CalDigit TS4 dock. While I never resolved the hdmi issue with the bottom bays, I did find out that using a better USB-C → HDMI adapter on the downstream thunderbolt ports of the CalDigit dock worked wonderfully, even on the same port that the cheaper USB-C → HDMI adapter didn’t work on.

I don’t recall the rules about posting links, so I’m not going to at the moment, but the Anker Model Number: A8317 USB-C HDMI adapter did work in the thunderbolt ports on a CalDigit TS4 for me, with Garuda (arch based).

I’m getting the same error messages on Ubuntu 23.10, have been getting them on 22.04 too. Also I had HDMI connection issues about a month ago, the external display would flicker, seemingly connecting/ disconnecting in quick succession, alternating with the monitor not being detected at all.
I raised a support ticket for that, however the connection issue did not reappear since then. Still I’m getting the following error messages in the logs:

Feb 14 11:16:14 linus-framework kernel: ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: GET_CONNECTOR_STATUS failed (-5)
Feb 14 11:16:16 linus-framework kernel: ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: UCSI_GET_PDOS failed (-5)
Feb 14 11:16:21 linus-framework kernel: ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: ucsi_handle_connector_change: ACK failed (-110)
Feb 14 11:16:26 linus-framework kernel: ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: ucsi_handle_connector_change: ACK failed (-110)

Since I don’t have immediate troubles regarding this issue, I just want to bring to your attention that these errors do not seem to be limited to Arch Linux.

I had the same error messages with the DisplayPort expansion card plugged in my Framework 13 AMD, even with the linux-lts kernel on Arch, and sometimes a kernel panic occurred with the following message:

[6.055643] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: unknown error 130
[6.110421] ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: error -EIO: PPM init failed

I’ve “resolved” by simply removing the DisplayPort expansion card and using it only as an adapter.

I have experienced weird hardware-like bugs in a Medion Akoya S15449 (keyboard not working correctly, displayport over usb-c not working, all of these problems appeared randomly; they sometimes resisted rebooting Windows). The solution was to blacklist the ucsi_acpi module (module_blacklist=ucsi_acpi at the kernel command line); the error and all the problems disappeared at once. Since this module is usb-c related, I may lose some functionality of the usb-c port but it appears to work as expected without this module (including displayport over usb-c)

I had this on ubuntu. I changed a few things and also gave up on ubuntu all at the same time.

1. Upped the VRAM reservation from 256MB to 4GB VRAM in UEFI
  2. Ensure HDMI port/ display outs are not plugged into the left side port which closet to the user per this diagram: Expansion Card Functionality on Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series)
  3. Installed the beta UEFI but that’s only for the IC and I assume therefore unrelated, but it did fix some issues not being able to boot while USB C was plugged in.
  4. Installed Arch and haven’t seen it since but do have some very minor issue or two occuring at hdmi handshake which may be related; but I do also receive these same driver warnings at every boot (Have never used a dock)

Got my FW16 today, using a USB-C hub from UGreen as an Ethernet adapter. This hub also has an unused HDMI out, and my HDMI expansion card is installed in my system. Getting this error spammed if I connect anything but Ethernet to the hub, making the system unusable in the live ISO. However, using the hub for only ethernet works fine, many fewer messages are logged. After I get the system installed I figure it’ll be less of a worry anyways.