[RESPONDED] Coreboot on the Framework Laptop

Anyone, can you watch the coreboot x Framework presentation in real-time and share the summary later on this thread in case the presentation is not recorded?

3 Likes

Just checking in here as well, did the talk end up happening?

2 Likes

Unfortunately, no. Next vPub is in March, so he might give a talk then.

4 Likes

Hi! I’ve been scrolling through the forums for a while now, and have been wondering about Coreboot. There’s a wiki on this already, and I was wondering if there was any more information for it. From what I can find, the problem is Intel BootGuard, blocking access to information needed to port it, although 3 people got laptops with it disabled. This post shows that the Framework Team at least was considering releasing something like this publicly, it’s been 2 years since. I’m highly interested in setting this up, and have been wondering whether the situation has changed. Now we have an AMD Framework laptop, which I am unaware of having an equivalent to BootGuard, though I could be wrong. What’s more, the Embedded Controller was open sourced, which while I am not fully sure of the porting process and not sure of what’s needed to be checked, might be a useful addition since this idea last got a large amount of attention. I don’t know all there is to know about this subject, far from it, but it’s definitely a cool thing to learn and if there’s a visible path forward for this that can involve the community contributing code, I’d be glad to help. :+1:

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum.
You’ve seen this thread?

It sounds like there has been progress recently. Though we don’t know the exact status, as the talk where we were going to hear more about it didn’t happen due to the dev getting sick.

1 Like

What @MJ1 said and those 3 apparently got theirs bricked while trying to port coreboot.
of which 1 is known who had it (and tweeted about requiring hardware flashing, send it back to framework I think.)
I believe this Felix Singer person got his hands (by official means) on one of those “bricked” boards and asked basicly anyone, but FW send the required bios to unbrick it using their hardware flasher. and from there, I dunno, but we think it might be coreboot related.

1 Like

How the progress in coreboot for Framework AMD?

3 Likes

Looks like the issue in coreboot was closed?

Ah, wait, looks like only the Chromebook is supported.
https://review.coreboot.org/c/coreboot/+/62569

3 Likes

The machine indicated in that patch series is definitely not the Framework Chromebook!

Sorry, that was referencing the prior link

I am hardly a fanboy of amd like some are, but this being said, I learned from some people looking at the platform security processor that it might not be a remote backdoor after all. I also learned that supposedly, amd is being increasingly worked on for corebooting purposes. I wonder if coreboot on framework could end up happening via amd instead of intel. Just a thought!

I don’t really care about either x86 version much, it would be nice to have open source alternatives take over the market like Libre-Soc best case, microwatt next best or Risc-V. But yeah that’s a while away for now I think.

Might be possible via amd, intel though? Not likely for the time being…

1 Like

I suggest offering modules or, as a default choice, the possibility of choosing whether or not the PC is equipped with AMD PSP, INTEL IME…
In addition, Dasharo/Coreboot could be installed by default. When in doubt, I’ll email support with the idea, as I’m sure I’m not the only one seduced by the idea of having a privacy-friendly PC that can be completely disassembled.

Best regards,

Evariste LD

2 Likes

Please keep all Coreboot discussion to the existing Coreboot thread.

Please do not reach out to Support for this. Framework is already very aware of this feature request.

1 Like

Very well, no problem!
(I’m sure there’s a problem on my side - I tried to search for existing threads on this subject but couldn’t find anything).

1 Like

Framework 16 is now shipping :3

1 Like

FOSDEM 2024 slides : https://fosdem.org/2024/events/attachments/fosdem-2024-2936-open-source-firmware-status-on-amd-platforms-2024-5th-edition/slides/21864/Open_Source_Firmware_status_on_AMD_platforms_20_aQbCpfQ.pdf

7 Likes

Hey,

The link for the slides seems dead. Although, I found the video of the Fosdem talk with the title of your talk here : https://video.fosdem.org/2024/aw1126/fosdem-2024-2936-open-source-firmware-status-on-amd-platforms-2024-5th-edition.mp4

The slides are here : https://fosdem.org/2024/events/attachments/fosdem-2024-2936-open-source-firmware-status-on-amd-platforms-2024-5th-edition/slides/22753/Open_Source_Firmware_status_on_AMD_platforms_20_aQbCpfQ.pdf

3 Likes

Still curious how close the chromebook version has progressed in being “pure corebooted”

As in, ungoogled coreboot. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was under the impression that that happened pretty much as soon as it was released. It’s listed as a fully-supported device at https://mrchromebox.tech, after all.

2 Likes