[RESPONDED] External Displays require re-plugging HDMI expansion cards

Sometimes (not always) when plugging in external monitors the computers and monitors don’t recognize each other. Sometimes simply unplugging the HDMI cord and retrying works (if they were plugged in at boot).

Usually unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI expansion after boot solves it.

There’s no real consistency to this issue. There were times when I thought it was working better on a specific port or with a specific monitor, but I’ve encountered the issue in a lot of configurations. Sometimes it works better or worse after a kernel upgrade (6.4.7 has been particularly bad).

When it fails there’s usually no indication anything happened. Sometimes the monitor (Acer CB271H) will wake up then go back to sleep. There’s nothing in dmesg when it fails.

I have 2 HDMI Expansion cards on the left side of my laptop (USB-C expansions on the right side). The issue is the same when trying with one monitor or two.

Machine Info

• Fedora 38, kernel 6.4.7-200.fc38.x86_64
  • Framework Laptop 12th gen
  • Gnome, Wayland

Hi Eric,

I’m going to ask some questions that may on the surface, sound silly or otherwise meaningless - they have value, so bear with me.

• Is this new behavior after updating to the kernel?
  • Which BIOS are you on?
  • Does this happen if booted into X?
  • Have you tested other cables?
  • Is TLP or related running by chance?

As is the frustrating nature of this problem, I just booted my machine into exactly the same configuration (no kernel update) and could not reproduce the problem.

Is this new behavior after updating to the kernel?

No. I’ve had this behavior on and off for a while. I had thought it was a kernel issue at one point since upgrading seemed to solve it, but the problem returned.

Which BIOS are you on?

InsydeH2O HFW30.03.06

Does this happen if booted into X?

The issue has occurred on both X and Wayland.

Have you tested other cables?

Yes.

Is TLP or related running by chance?

No. The tlp package is not installed and tlp.service does not exist.

Let’s get this into a ticket. I’d like to see your logs on this and see what is happening specifically. When opening a ticket, please be sure to link to this thread so we can spot what has been tried already.