Massive problems with external devices (Fedora 39, kernel 6.6,6.7)

with Fedora 39 and Kernel 6.6 and 6.7 I have massive problems with external devices:

• my 2 external displays (USB C and HDMI) are hardly recognized, the HDMI only if I remove and reinsert the HDMI Expansion Card while the system is running.
    -USB-A devices are not recognized at all (external webcam or Cherry Steam mouse and keyboard with USB dongle)

For troubleshooting, I have completely reinstalled Fedora and also briefly installed LinuxMint (with kernel 6.5).

Unfortunately, the error still occurred. Apparently a Fedora update has broken something.
But is it probably also due to the framework firmware? Is there a way to reset or reinstall it?

Is there another solution for the problems with the external devices?
Seems to be a framework problem, as it didn’t work under Mint either.

Device: framework 13 with 11gen intel

Hi.
I am a Linux kernel developer. This is unlikely to be caused by a BIOS update.
At the linux terminal, type “lsusb” and post the output here.
It should list which USB devices it can see.
This is more likely to be a hardware problem, so using tools like lsusb will help narrow down where the problem is.
e.g.

1. do “lsusb” without any expansion cards. If something appears:
  2. add one expansion card in slot 1 say a mouse. See if “lsusb” sees it.
  3. Move that expansion card to slot 2,3,4,5,6 to see if the mouse is seen at every slot. That will check if the slots are working.
  4. Make sure the HDMI card is plugged into the correct slot, it only works is certain slots.

Also, asking this question in a Fedora Linux help forum would probably help.
The output from “dmesg” would also help, but you would need to send that output to a pastbin and put the link here, as the output will be too long for here.

1 Like

I would just like to add some data-points the front two USB ports are pretty much unusable for me with a variety of kernels, dongles adaptors and cables. I’ve been through the 6.6 6.7 and 6.8 rc’s and the front two ports are pretty much hit or miss as to whether things connected to them enumerate. No such issues with the rear ports.

1 Like

Thank you!

this is the lsusb output with all expansion cards inserted, and usb dongle (for mouse and keyboard) and hdmi for external monitor plugged in, both devices dont work

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 27c6:609c Shenzhen Goodix Technology Co.,Ltd. Goodix USB2.0 MISC
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 8087:0032 Intel Corp. AX210 Bluetooth
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

this is the outpot with only 1 expansion card(usb) plugged in at the left front site, and in the expansion card the usb dongle for keyboard and mouse is plugged in:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 27c6:609c Shenzhen Goodix Technology Co.,Ltd. Goodix USB2.0 MISC
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 8087:0032 Intel Corp. AX210 Bluetooth
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

the output ist the same when the usb expansion card is plugged in at the rear.

i dit move the usb dongle to every of the 4 slots, dint work anywhere

with the HDMI the situation is till the same: when i just plug it into the expansion card, it doenst work. I have to remove the expansion card and reinsert it while the laptop is running. then i can plugin the hdmi cable and the display is working.

Also interesting: it seems, that the laptop is always running. It looses 20-25% battery ever day turned of.

edit: I will continue to monitor this, but the problem seems to have been resolved for the time being. Thank you for your help!

Thank you for the extra info. From that, one can see the USB bluetooth device that is the bluetooth bit of the wifi card.
So, from that, I can see that the device drivers are working.
There are a few other things that could be causing that, but I will start with the most likely ones:

1. Read through the documentation around inserting expansion cards. Maybe you are missing a step.
  2. Go into the BIOS of the FW13 and find a setting that mentions something along the lines of “Reset/return to factory defaults” and select and save those settings.
    This might result in the BIOS redoing something called “memory training”, so on the next reboot of the machine it might take 15 mins before the boot up display appears, so don’t panic, just wait for it.
    Then try plugging in the USB mouse and see if it sees it.
    If 1 and 2 don’t help:
  3. Go into the BIOS and search all the settings for something along the lines of “Disable external IO”. This setting would disable all the expansion slots. Make sure it is set to enable all the expansion slots.
    If 1, 2 and 3 don’t help:
  4. It might be a problem with the charge on the RTC battery, please refer to framework documentation and maybe contain framework support around that.
1 Like

That is interesting. This might point to a hardware fault on the main board, a failed component causing a short or something like that. If that is the case, the only fix is to get a replacement motherboard from Framework support.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I did a Mainboard reset and it seems that this solved the problem. All devices work again. I still have to find out if the laptop still runs when turned of. Will check tomorrow. Maybe it has something to do with the RTC battery. When the problem occurs again, I will replace the battery.

But for now it seems that the mainboard reset solved it