[RESPONDED] Fedora 39 KDE - Fingerprint reader registering attempts on lockscreen

Just witnessed a peculiar issue whilst my device was locked. The lockscreen started to flood with messages regarding the fingerprint reader as if it was detecting its use. I am using an alternative lockscreen style so will try switching back to the default and seeing if that changes the behaviour but not sure it will. Anyone come across this?

Edit: just to clarify, my finger is not on the reader when this happens, nothing is.

Host: Laptop (12th Gen Intel Core) A4
Kernel: 6.6.6-200.fc39.x86_64
Uptime: 9 hours, 21 mins
Packages: 2176 (rpm)
Shell: zsh 5.9
Resolution: 2256x1504
DE: Plasma 5.27.10
WM: kwin
Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]
Icons: candy-icons [Plasma], candy-icons [GTK2/3]
Terminal: tilix
CPU: 12th Gen Intel i5-1240P (16) @ 4.400GHz
GPU: Intel Alder Lake-P
Memory: 5024MiB / 15698MiB

Hello @AMoonRabbit !

Can you get a closer photo of the messages? You can also get some logs from the system and attach it to you next message with these commands:

"mkdir ~/framework
journalctl > ~/framework/journal.log
dmesg > ~/framework/dmesg.log
cp ~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log ~/framework/Xorg.0.log
sudo dmidecode | grep -A3 'Vendor:\|Product:' > ~/framework/demidecode
sudo lspci -vv > ~/framework/lscpi.log
sudo lsusb -vv > ~/framework/lsusb.log

cp /etc/os-release ~/framework/os-release
tar czf framework-log.tgz ~/framework/*
rm ~/framework/*
rmdir ~/framework"

Hi @AMoonRabbit ,

This is most likely the cause of the issue, would you know the name of the lock screen?
I think switching to default will fix the issue, but do let us know if it persist, cheers! :slight_smile:

I have a possibly related problem that cropped up yesterday on the KDE spin of Fedora 39. I am using a FW13 Ryzen. I did not get the repeated error message, but my fingerprint no longer works initially for login. There is an error listed above the password field as soon as I open the lid. If I enter an incorrect password, or simply no password, I get a timeout for a few seconds and then the fingerprint reader works again. Other uses like sudo seem to be fine.

I’m using the stock lock screen that comes with the Fedora 39 KDE spin.
I tried to attach the file outlined above but the forum says I’m only allowed to upload certain extensions, but I can share it by another means if you need.

Hi Loell, I am using the Sugar Candy login screen style from the SDDM themes, I have switched back to the built in Breeze Fedora

Hopefully this image will be better, I think I copied a thumbnail instead before

Yes, you will have to use something like onedrive/Gdrive or some other file host and link it here.

I think there is a general timeout after start up whereby the option to use the fingerprint to unlock your device on first login expires so you have to use your Password. At least that’s the behaviour I had on Pop. Also, if you locked the device, returned to it, and woke it up, got to the password entry similarly the fingerprint reader will be active for only 30 seconds or so until that session expires and you have to use your password.

Thanks, here’s the link to the file on Google Drive

I couldn’t get the 2 files that required sudo. I’ve pasted the errors at the end.

@AMoonRabbit
What you’re describing sounds possible, it’s just weird the behavior started yesterday after I’ve been using Fedora/KDE for a month. We have different hardware but maybe there was a regression that hit us both in related ways.

My usual routine: I would open the lid, hit the power button to wake it up, hit the power button again to open the login dialog, leave my finger there for a split second and it would verify the print and log me in. It was quite satisfying. :grinning:

Now the Verification Timeout error is present as soon as the screen comes up. I just have to hit enter once or twice (until the text gets shaky from the bad passwords) and I can hit power again and the fingerprint lets me in. Not the biggest thing in the world, but it’s gone from 2 satisfying seconds to 10 annoying seconds.

matt@mattsfw ~> sudo lspci -vv > ~/framework/lscpi.log
pcilib: Error reading /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:08.3/label: Operation not permitted
matt@mattsfw ~> sudo lsusb -vv > ~/framework/lsusb.log
can't get device qualifier: Resource temporarily unavailable

I have noted also that using your password to unlock takes a long time. I can type my password, hit enter and click the arrow to try and sign back in but finger print reader will unlock the moment I touch it. Very odd behaviour.

Edit: Okay, so having a fingerprint enrolled seems to “break” the password login? By that I mean it makes unlocking with password take 25 seconds, and you can no longer authenticate system changes with the password (get DBus errors when changing the SDDM theme, only way to apply is to use fingerprint). Delete the enrolled fingerprint and password logins are back to normal. Is this really default behaviour because it’s backwards to me.

My problem with “Verification Timeout” has spontaneously resolved. I have automatic updates on. I’m guessing my problem was a small regression in KDE or Fedora that got fixed.