[RESPONDED] Fedora Dimming after one minute

One thing that bugs me with Fedora 39 is that the screen dims after only one minute. This is on an AMD. I have the power settings on Power Savings, but Automatic Screen Brightness and Dim Screen are turned off. What do I need to do?

Maybe try disabling dimm on power saving options on settings?

As I mentioned, I’ve already done that.

Ah right, sorry missed that, are you on latest BIOS version?

Sounds like the dimming is still enabled. So long as you are on officially supported GNOME Fedora 39 Workstation, this should help.

Run:

gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power idle-dim

If it comes back as true, try this:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power idle-dim false

then check again:

gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power idle-dim

I’m using the current bios.

I checked, and it came back as false. It’s still doing it.

It looks like, when you’re on power saving mode the dimm is overriden to take effect even when disabled.

Maybe try xset -dpms

This is what I got:

server does not have extension for -dpms option

How about via dconf?

org->gnome->settings->daemon->plugins->power->sleep-inactive-ac-timeout

set sleep-inactive-ac-timeout to 300 (seconds) set sleep-inactive-ac-type to ‘logout’

That was confusing but helpful. I didn’t realize dconf was dconf editor that needed to be installed. Also, why did you put ‘logout’? I replaced it with ‘nothing’ for both AC and battery. It did seem to have done the trick.

Actually, it didn’t fix it. Any other ideas?

It feels like by design, and inherent with GNOME, are you open to other Desktop Environments? that may offer more options, or play with non-saving power mode which won’t dimm your screen.

I had this same issue, searching for a solution lead me to KDE…

Here you can see the response to a user is that all is behaving as expected, user settings are not respected in this mode. I think this is one of those things like brightness increments that are not user adjustable unless you want to build it yourself.

Seems they took inspiration from Apple’s “low power mode” which also overrides user screen timeout settings and forces it to 30s.