Screen Brightness Automatically Changing

Hi Framework Community,

I’ve run into a potential bug. My screen will occasionally change brightness on its own despite having the Setting, “Change brightness automatically when lighting changes” un-selected. Is there another setting I’m unaware of that needs to be turned off also?

This appears to be un-related to the dim my screen setting in the power plan as it will occur while I’m actively using the laptop. It has occurred in low and well lit scenarios. I am not often in moderately lit environments to test this.

I’ve running the 1165-G7, 32GB 3200 ram, 1TB WD 750, 2 USB C, 2 USB A, webcam and microphone switches turned off, and Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.19043, build 19043.

Framework driver package was installed and all other aspects of the laptop function normally.

Anyone have any thoughts?

1 Like

Check these settings in Start > Intel Graphics Command Center

Specifically, make sure “Adaptive Brightness” and “Display Power Savings” (adaptive contrast) are disabled.

6 Likes

Turns out I’ve never had that program turned on before and hadn’t even accepted the end-user-license agreement. So while I’ve turned those off does anyone think that they would be having that effect even if I hadn’t ever used them before? If so software taking action before the user has accepted the end-user-license agreement is a serious issue. Not saying this happened here, but just a thought that occurred. We’d need a lot more evidence before even being able to suggest such a thing within a legal context.

Intel has notoriously bad software.

Re: legality, this may be on Framework since I’m assuming their one-click automated drivers installer bypasses the user agreement prompts. I’m far from an expert on this subject though, just guessing.

I hope I’m wrong because it’d be annoying to have to press ‘agree’ for every single driver in the bundle installer.

Getting rid of that setting ng in the Intel software seems to have done it

I want to confirm that “Display Power Savings” that feesh describes as “adaptive contrast” is exactly the problem I had. Disabling it solved the “dimming” or “brightness” problem as I’d describe it. Thanks, feesh!

5 Likes

I found Adaptive Brightness was already disabled, and disabling Display Power Savings had no effect.

The relevant option for me (in the Intel Graphcis Command Center) was actually under Display > Local Adaptive Contrast Enhancement. Disabling this fixed the issue for me.

I have all of these disabled and still have occasional jumps of display brightness…

I was recently having a weird artifact where the entire screen brightness would change depending on how bright everything on the screen was. I noticed it because I was pausing a windowed game which would bring up a dark screen with “Paused” text on it and all the windows on the desktop would change brightness when this happened. I have a slowmo video of it if anybody is interested.

I found people saying to lower the “Power Efficiency Setting” in the Intel Graphics Command Center to fix this. So I installed the Graphics Command Center, and lowered the setting, which did fix the problem. And then the funny thing is I put the setting back up to its old maximum value and the problem was still fixed!