[RESPONDED] Framework 16 Docking Station for Linux

Hi there, I’ve read through the USB-C/Thunderbolt Dock Megathread and I have now tried two docks, neither of which have worked properly:

• Satechi - Thunderbolt 4 Slim Hub 5-in-1 - USB-C 60W, Single 8k or Dual 4K Display, 4 Thunderbolt 4 Ports, USB 3.2 Gen2 - Space Gray

The above didn’t work as it’s only TB4 as opposed to USB4, so I returned it and purchased one of these:

• Plugable Thunderbolt 4 Dock for 4K Dual Monitors or Single 8K, 100W Laptop Charging

Thinking this one would work with USB4 as the box literally says “Thunderbolt 4 & USB4 Dual HDMI Display Docking Station with 96W charging”

Does anyone have a suggestion of a good USB4 dock which supports 2x1080 monitors via HDMI or USB-C, along with Ethernet?

I’m running the latest KDE Neon with the integrated GPU and a 7840HS.

Thanks!

1 Like

I have this docking station for my Framework 13 and plan to use it on my Framework 16. It’s not Thunderbolt, but it is a very good single cable solution for charging (85w), 4K monitor, and SD card reader.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Docking-PowerExpand-Charging-Ethernet/dp/B088F7SY6S/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=J4R0SNJHLWFZ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.5yhcDEZKxfubgYe0TvubBl9gL5cQk9admA7wvqV35oWeQbi7JbZkpx86MdK0dpsi0hzjQEJSWc-zdAorT_i4TGickPlEa92nocPpa0JCMBH1irjyqYtSf5FSrxyJasHD0ClMTFqOhafY35cT4dzMWfoY_KoFVLIGC6RxiUJsFBYJBpN_-TilWH0Fq-ZgfxfFKfWIJOX7H2A7x7g3V2zIfg.Knirqf9WPVUkEj3yS2kVLscSDkJ_zqCigLRzE2xBfaE&dib_tag=se&keywords=anker+docking+station&qid=1712026548&sprefix=anker+dock%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-3

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, @henrytr! Are you only using a single 4k monitor as opposed to dual monitors?

Yes. I have a single 4K 27" monitor that I have mounted directly above the laptop in a “stacked” configuration. I think the Anker docking station can push two monitors, but I’m not certain.

Nothing too add here as we do not officially test against any specific docks. As a general rule, USB functionality should be fine with most docks. Video out is best with our expansion cards. Docks can be pretty hit and miss.

1 Like

Well, using the Dell WD19TB dock with KDE Neon.
Everything works, except at boot. The screen won’t come up/show up.
I suspect a bug with the plasma startup which gets stuck in waiting state if booting with dock connected. Unplug and re-plug and it works.
it seems the Dell dock provides max 60W of power though, even if it has the 140W power-brick. But that seems to be a Dell thing.

When gaming, I switch to the Framework 180W brick :}

1 Like

I finally got this dock to work properly with 2xHDMI monitors and Ethernet on KDE Neon:

Anker Docking Station, Anker 575 USB-C Docking Station (13-in-1), Triple Display, 4K HDMI, 10 Gbps USB-C and 5 Gbps USB-A Data, 85W Charging for Laptop, 18W Charging for Phone, Ethernet, Audio, SD 3.0

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088F7SY6S

It’s very frustrating the amount of hassle I had to go through to get a simple dock working, as this is the fourth one which I bought!

Same! I bought 3 different ones and learned 3 different lessons about how these work.

1 Like

Has anyone tested the Triple Dock from Tuxedo computers (made for Linux)? I am still searching for a Thunderbolt Dock that is fully supported on FW16 with Linux installed. The Megathread is unfortunately quite useless here, because most of the Docks were tested on FW13, windows and intel…