[RESPONDED] Install of OEM D kernel not possible

Hi there,

i wanted to run an update on the kernel, as I got promoted the message “A newer OEM D kernel is available than what is set in GRUB. Clock here to learn more.”

But, if I run this command, I get the following output:

$ latest_oem_kernel=$(ls /boot/vmlinuz-* | grep '6.5.0-10..-oem' | sort -V | tail -n1 | awk -F'/' '{print $NF}' | sed 's/vmlinuz-//') && sudo sed -i.bak '/^GRUB_DEFAULT=/c\GRUB_DEFAULT="Advanced options for Ubuntu>Ubuntu, with Linux '"$latest_oem_kernel"'"' /etc/default/grub && sudo update-grub && sudo apt install zenity && mkdir -p ~/.config/autostart && [ ! -f ~/.config/autostart/kernel_check.desktop ] && echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nType=Application\nExec=bash -c \"latest_oem_kernel=\$(ls /boot/vmlinuz-* | grep '6.5.0-10..-oem' | sort -V | tail -n1 | awk -F'/' '{print \\\$NF}' | sed 's/vmlinuz-//') && current_grub_kernel=\$(grep '^GRUB_DEFAULT=' /etc/default/grub | sed -e 's/GRUB_DEFAULT=\\\"Advanced options for Ubuntu>Ubuntu, with Linux //g' -e 's/\\\"//g') && [ \\\"\\\${latest_oem_kernel}\\\" != \\\"\\\${current_grub_kernel}\\\" ] && zenity --text-info --html --width=300 --height=200 --title=\\\"Kernel Update Notification\\\" --filename=<(echo -e \\\"A newer OEM D kernel is available than what is set in GRUB. <a href='https://github.com/FrameworkComputer/linux-docs/blob/main/22.04-OEM-D.md'>Click here</a> to learn more.\\\")\"\nHidden=false\nNoDisplay=false\nX-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true\nName[en_US]=Kernel check\nName=Kernel check\nComment[en_US]=\nComment=" > ~/.config/autostart/kernel_check.desktop
[sudo] password for loki: 
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.0-1018-oem
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.5.0-1018-oem
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.0-1016-oem
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.5.0-1016-oem
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.0-26-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.5.0-26-generic
Memtest86+ needs a 16-bit boot, that is not available on EFI, exiting
Warning: os-prober will not be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Systems on them will not be added to the GRUB boot configuration.
Check GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER documentation entry.
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
zenity is already the newest version (3.42.1-0ubuntu1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Could you help me out?

I am having LUKS enabled during the setup, as I don’t want to get any personal data lost, if my laptop gets lost.

Hi @Emmerax,

• This is for Ubuntu 22.04 fully updated, correct?

• What is the output of uname -r and are you trying to come from OEM C to OEM D?

@Matt_Hartley
yes

6.5.0-1016-oem

I see the same thing, on my Framework 16. sudo apt update ; sudo apt list --upgradeable show no packages available for upgrades.

> lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Release:	22.04
Codename:	jammy

> uname -r
6.5.0-1018-oem

> latest_oem_kernel=$(ls /boot/vmlinuz-* | grep '6.5.0-10..-oem' | sort -V | tail -n1 | awk -F'/' '{print $NF}' | sed 's/vmlinuz-//') && sudo sed -i.bak '/^GRUB_DEFAULT=/c\GRUB_DEFAULT="Advanced options for Ubuntu>Ubuntu, with Linux '"$latest_oem_kernel"'"' /etc/default/grub && sudo update-grub && sudo apt install zenity && mkdir -p ~/.config/autostart && [ ! -f ~/.config/autostart/kernel_check.desktop ] && echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nType=Application\nExec=bash -c \"latest_oem_kernel=\$(ls /boot/vmlinuz-* | grep '6.5.0-10..-oem' | sort -V | tail -n1 | awk -F'/' '{print \\\$NF}' | sed 's/vmlinuz-//') && current_grub_kernel=\$(grep '^GRUB_DEFAULT=' /etc/default/grub | sed -e 's/GRUB_DEFAULT=\\\"Advanced options for Ubuntu>Ubuntu, with Linux //g' -e 's/\\\"//g') && [ \\\"\\\${latest_oem_kernel}\\\" != \\\"\\\${current_grub_kernel}\\\" ] && zenity --text-info --html --width=300 --height=200 --title=\\\"Kernel Update Notification\\\" --filename=<(echo -e \\\"A newer OEM D kernel is available than what is set in GRUB. <a href='https://github.com/FrameworkComputer/linux-docs/blob/main/22.04-OEM-D.md'>Click here</a> to learn more.\\\")\"\nHidden=false\nNoDisplay=false\nX-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true\nName[en_US]=Kernel check\nName=Kernel check\nComment[en_US]=\nComment=" > ~/.config/autostart/kernel_check.desktop
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.0-1018-oem
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.5.0-1018-oem
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.0-1016-oem
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.5.0-1016-oem
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.0-21-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.5.0-21-generic
Memtest86+ needs a 16-bit boot, that is not available on EFI, exiting
Warning: os-prober will not be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Systems on them will not be added to the GRUB boot configuration.
Check GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER documentation entry.
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
zenity is already the newest version (3.42.1-0ubuntu1).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libgnome-bg-4-1 python3-brlapi python3-louis python3-speechd xbrlapi
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

No idea how I missed this previously. Yes, this is where it’s hanging up I suspect.
LUKS on Ubuntu, setting the parameter will need to be done manually.

You’re on the latest - 6.5.0.1018 and it’s set correctly.

Oh, huh. Any idea why the prompt window showed up saying there was a newer OEM kernel available, when I’m at the latest?
Edit: sorry to hijack the thread! Feel free to move to it’s own thread. :slight_smile:

I am totally fine with it. I think as we have facing similar issues (even if you managed to be on latest, and I didn‘t manage it), I am totally fine that you used the thread as well. Might be helpful for any googler :wink:

@Matt_Hartley
Any reference, how I can do that?

1 Like

@Loell_Framework Is this something you have experienced by chance? In case I need to set aside some cycles to repro this further.

Did you get any resolution on the problem of the notification coming up when the latest kernel is running? I’ve had the problem for a couple of oem upgrades and wonder how to turn the notification off.

@Anita_Lewis
Unfortunatly not.

@Matt_Hartley
Could you help us here? At least we are being more and more people with the same issue.

@Anita_Lewis No, it still brings up the notification whenever I run the check script, even when I’m on the latest OEM kernel.

Found it.

Kernel Check in autostart is on.

~/.config/autostart/kernel_check.desktop begins with:
Exec=bash -c "latest_oem_kernel=$(ls /boot/vmlinuz-* | grep ‘6.1.0-10…-oem’

My current kernel is 6.5.0-1020-oem so, that is the problem. Maybe there is an update on installing this bit. Otherwise, I’ll turn it off in autostart.