[RESPONDED] Linux Mint 21.2: sound input issue

• Linux Mint 21.2 x86_64
  • 11th Gen Framework

Hi,

I updated Linux Mint Cinnamon from 21.1 to 21.2 about a month ago. The audio input issues I was having in my initial install of 21.1 came back. Previously, these issues were fixed by applying the fix mentioned at https://github.com/FrameworkComputer/linux-docs/blob/main/LinuxMint21-1-Manual-Setup-11thGen.md . However, this does not correct the issue anymore.

The issue I am having is that the input for the built-in microphone does not work. When using an external microphone (such as from a headset), input works (though requiring a little bit of fine tuning as per this thread). When I plug and unplug the external microphone, the system is clearly detecting it as I can see that it will change between “Internal Microphone Built-in Audio” and “Microphone Built-in Audio” (as appropriate) in Sound Settings. However, when working with the internal microphone nothing happens (and it is not a gain issue).

I would rule out the hardware since I have not touched it and since it seems to have been triggered by the OS version upgrade.

While you may rule out hardware issues, it couldn’t hurt to try it out on a live-install of Ubuntu or Fedora, just for testing purposes.

1 Like

Exactly right. Since Linux Mint is not officially supported, they’d ask you to try out a supported live USB. Ubuntu should be closest. That would rule out hardware.

This sounds like it is a change with the kernel. Can you provide @Loell_Framework who will be helping with this the output of uname -r

As others have pointed out, since this is a community support release, it would be helpful to also test out a Live USB of something like Fedora. No need to install it. I’d like to see how the input behaves on a newer kernel and this is the easiest way to test it.

If it works, then we know the newer kernel resolves it once it’s available on other distros.

If it still fails, then it means there is either a kernel regression or something else.

1 Like