[RESPONDED] Pop!_OS Anyone has tried it on the FW13?

How is the compatibility of Pop!_OS on the Framework laptop?

I knew the os isn’t officially supported, but wondered if anyone made it fully functional on the Framewrok?

Genuinely curious to know as well, although for good user experience we tend to encourage FW13 users to use officially supported ones ( Ubuntu and Fedora )

As of 2 months ago, PopOS was broken. There is some significant issue that causes unpredictable behaviour(freezes, hangs, etc). I’ve since switched to fedora and am pretty happy with the out-of-the-box experience sans some minor qol issues.

The main thing i miss about Pop is their tiling manager and some occassional settings exposed by PopOs that fedora doesn’t. On the other hand, ootb power management on Fedora is top notch (for an intel system)

1 Like

It is still running fine on my 11th Gen i7-1165G7. I keep up with updates in pop shop.
With pop-os 21.x I had to install wifi drivers but if I recall correctly, installing 22.04 when that came out, everything worked out of the box.
I have not used the finger-print reader though.
No dual boot or anything complicated other than I converted to btrfs immediately after installation.
New kernels have always booted fine. I’m at linux 6.4.6 as of a couple days ago.

I mostly followed this guide:

1 Like

We encourage folks to test and try different distros, however, if you experience and issue with it, you will be asked to troubleshoot using Ubuntu 22.04 or Fedora 38 to rule out hardware or a bad configuration with a given distro installation. Thanks

Fair enough, I have used both Ubuntu and Fedora, but only personal preference to stick with Pop OS.

1 Like

Same thought, the tiling really enhances my work flow

1 Like

Pop shell which does the tiling is a gnome extension and can be added to gnome with other distros. Several even have it as an available package.
See GitHub - pop-os/shell: Pop!_OS Shell .

3 Likes

Thank you @Spence not sure why it never occurred to me. I always assumed you’d have to change to a new wm to have this. I have now installed Pop Shell and it works so far :pray:

2 Likes

I run Pop OS on my 12th gen 13 and it’s absolutely fine. I tried switch to Fedora but always end up back on Pop.

There are a few tweaks that had to be made, but I don’t think they are exclusive to PopOS. Things like freezes which @Chironjit_Das mentioned were put to rest with a kernelstub entry to turn the intel panel refresh off.

1 Like

what are some examples of things not working out of box?
do speaker, keyboard backlight, bluetooth/Wifi, suspend work?

If I remember correctly, they all worked. The fingerprint reader needed some additional steps to get working but otherwise everything else worked.

1 Like

Things worked right out of the box for the most part. Like @AMoonRabbit mentioned, the fingerprint reader needs some additional steps (I believe there is a thread in the forums on this) to get going but wasn’t too bad/difficult.

also got my hands on the Framework. I had an existing Ssd from another laptop with Pop OS installed. Everything works. Though I had to re-enter the wifi password and re-connect my bluetooth earbud airpods.
fingerprint reader is detected but not shown up in the settings. I don’t want to bother setting it up :stuck_out_tongue:

I imagine most/some of the issues are due to them being hard at work on COSMIC DE, and Pop still getting updates/etc, but not a 23.04 release so they can get it ready for 24.04.

New blogpost says a COSMIC Alpha is hopefully due end of march

2 Likes

i agree on this. since the fingerprint reader isn’t essential to me, im gonna overlook that

Which was it running poorly on (11, 12, 13, or amd)?? I use it at work on my 12th gen framework and haven’t had any issues in the past and was still fine on Friday.

If you want to fix this for peace of mind, I believe you just need to run the following:

sudo apt install libpam-fprintd -y
sudo pam-auth-update

Then put an asterisks in the fingerprint reader line to enable it.

1 Like

tested today, it’s totally working for me thanks

1 Like

Pop os works out of box but the power consumption is a bit higher, about 7~8W compared to 3~4W on Fedora. Might be something about system76 power management in place of ppd