[RESPONDED] Touchpad not working - opensuse tumbleweed

Hey all - so far most things are going very well with my OpenSuSe Tumbleweed based Frame.work 16.

However … the touchpad isn’t working. Trying to find a solutions hasn’t nailed it down … I’m not even sure what the hardware is for the touchpad to even start digging on the correct drivers.

When I run hwinfo --mouse - it doesn’t even show in output.

I did shut down and carefully reseat the touchpad module a few times to try and eliminate any physical contact connectivity issues.

Any direction on make/manufacturer of the touchpad module, along with possible names of driver packages I might need to look for ?

Thank you !

~~shane

Welcome to the Framework community! We’ll try to get you straightened out. :slight_smile:

• Have you tried a different OS? I’m not all that familiar with OpenSUSE, but I believe Ubuntu has the proper driver for the touchpad built in. No need to install it, a “Live USB” flash drive is all you need. If it works under Ubuntu, then the problem is software-related, a driver or something under OpenSUSE.

• If it’s not software, have you tried the touchpad module in the other two positions? If it works in one of the other positions, that points to the set of connectors that you were originally trying as the problem. If it doesn’t work on any of them, then the connectors themselves are probably fine.

• If it doesn’t work under Ubuntu, and doesn’t work in any of the three positions, then it sounds like a problem with the touchpad module itself. I’d suggest talking to Framework support. They will likely have other things you can try as well, and if all else fails, can arrange to replace the touchpad module for a known good one. They’re getting hammered though, with all the new FW16s going out, so that’s likely to take some time.

Hopefully those suggestions will identify the problem, and either solve it or greatly cut down on the amount of time that you’ll have to spend talking to support.

@Chad_Nelson - thank you for the thorough response - much appreciated. Just got a chance to try Kubuntu 23.10 Live on the system - and the trackpad doesn’t work. I would assume that Kubuntu being a downstream derived variant should contain the same driver set as Ubuntu …

I will open a support case w/ Frame.work … and hope they aren’t too smashed to delay remediation …

Update: upon entering a support ticket - this KB was suggested - which I’ll review and try …

I’ll report back here for posterity if anyone should trip upon this in the future.

1 Like

Moving another topic here - folks, please use this FW 16 section for Linux related issues.

Welcome to the community!

First thing we want to do is make sure this is not a hardware issue (not connecting, inserted oddly, etc). Boot to a live USB of Fedora 39. Is the touchpad not working? File a support ticket linking to this thread.

If it is working, then this will be a matter of powering down and carefully re-seating the input kit.

Here is what it shows as in Fedora:

hwinfo --mouse
82: PS/2 00.0: 10500 PS/2 Mouse                                 
  [Created at input.249]
  Unique ID: AH6Q.BBf3I2dBqeA
  Hardware Class: mouse
  Model: "PIXA3854:00 093A:0274 Mouse"
  Vendor: 0x093a 
  Device: 0x0274 "PIXA3854:00 093A:0274 Mouse"
  Compatible to: int 0x0210 0x0042
  Device File: /dev/input/mice (/dev/input/mouse0)
  Device Files: /dev/input/mice, /dev/input/mouse0, /dev/input/event3
  Device Number: char 13:63 (char 13:32)
  Driver Info #0:                                                             
    Buttons: 2                                                                
    Wheels: 4                                                                 
    XFree86 Protocol: explorerps/2                                            
    GPM Protocol: exps2                                                       
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown                  

83: PS/2 00.0: 10500 PS/2 Mouse                                               
  [Created at input.249]                                                      
  Unique ID: AH6Q.AtjTgGVIqu0                                                 
  Hardware Class: mouse                                                       
  Model: "PIXA3854:00 093A:0274 Touchpad"                                     
  Vendor: 0x093a                                                              
  Device: 0x0274 "PIXA3854:00 093A:0274 Touchpad"                             
  Compatible to: int 0x0210 0x0001
  Device File: /dev/input/mice (/dev/input/mouse1)
  Device Files: /dev/input/mice, /dev/input/mouse1, /dev/input/event4, /dev/input/by-path/platform-AMDI0010:03-event-mouse, /dev/input/by-path/platform-AMDI0010:03-mouse
  Device Number: char 13:63 (char 13:33)
  Driver Info #0:
    Buttons: 1
    Wheels: 0
    XFree86 Protocol: explorerps/2
    GPM Protocol: exps2
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown