[RESPONDED] Trying Linux

I was thinking about trying Linux but want it as my main daily driver without partitioning my SSD with dual boot. Could I actually install it on another SSD and just swap them out depending on if I want to use Linux or Windows? Would that cause any issues I’m not seeing?

2 Likes

Sure you could do that, but it seems like a bit of a pain. Although the Framework laptop is easier to get into that almost every other laptop, you would still have to open it every time.

And the M.2 socket is only rated for so many insertions. Sure it’s probably in the thousands but you should still be aware of this.

It would work though. The only shared resource that has its own memory is the fingerprint reader - it will probably work in one OS and not the other.

3 Likes

Definitely, there is a whole thread about this issue. Perhaps you could use a VM to run the windows apps you need.

2 Likes

This is probably the most advisable route, also very portable.

2 Likes

Yeah, the only reason I would want to install it on a drive and swap them out instead of just using a VM to try it out is if you want to test something that needs to take full advantage of the hardware, like gaming/rendering. Those could be hindered by the VM. But, if it can be installed on a Linux system, it’s unlikely to take a performance hit (WINE is very good nowadays), so if you just want to try out the feel of Linux, then definitely start with a VM to minimize effort (like VirtualBox)

2 Likes

I have Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on a 250gb expansion card and Windows 10 on the internal SSD.

For my mild usage, the speed is fine on Linux.
No heavy games, some video streaming, or saved file playback.

2 Likes

On a strictly personal front, I am not a fan of dual booting. While it’s possible, I have seen oodles of folks who end up with it going poorly.

That said, yes, you can dual-boot. I prefer to do so on the same internal drive.

3 Likes