[RESPONDED] USB PD & DP failing consistently w/ Charge Limit

In the body of your post, please include those following details.

• Which OS (Operating System)? Linux
  • Which release of your OS (Operating System / Windows 10, 11, Distribution of Linux)? Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
  • Which Framework laptop (11th, 12th or 13th generation Framework laptop) are you asking for support with?
    Framework 13, 13th Gen Intel

I am using a Cooler Master Tempest GP27U, it has an internal KVM switch for its USB C connection and another device.
It also supports 90W power delivery over that USB C connection.

I discovered when using a charge limit, when that charge limit activates - it kicks my monitor off into this half blank state.
I tried to disable the charge limit, but it only lets me set it back to 100% in the bios. When I achieve 100% charge, it still causes the same issue.

What can I do to resolve this?
My temporary fix currently it to try and change the refresh rate, then revert it. This sends a wakeup to the monitor which fixes it, until I hit the charge limit and it begins again.

I am unable to turn off power delivery on the monitor.
I don’t believe this is specifically a linux issue as when I have low charge and plug in I can use the monitor perfectly fine until the charge limit.

1 Like

Welcome to the community!

Appreciate the level of detail provided, saves us a ton of back and forth.

This is the charge limit presented in BIOS, correct?

I agree, this is an issue with how the charge limit interacts with (assuming BIOS charge limit setting) with the display over USB-C.

It would be interesting to do some comparisons with another display. Especially something HDMI or DP straight into HDMI or DP expansion cards.

Thank you for replying. I have been waiting and actually emailed Framework support since I assumed no one would look at this post.

Yes in the BIOS there is a “charge limit” option. I have considered whether it’s worth restarting my laptop to disable the battery entirely but it’s a big inconvenience.

I will test this at some point as I have an HDMI expansion card. I have used the HDMI display just fine while charging during presentations so I do not think it’s a similar issue. If you have a specific test you’d like me to do I can attempt it when my schedule allows.
It’s why I truly think it has to do with how the BIOS shuts off power to the USB-C port, it seems to disconnect it partially and the Alt-DP doesn’t do a full handshake or something, as I said previously I can “fix it” temporarily by attempting to change the refresh rate in the cinnamon “Display” app, and then cancel it. This works until the usage drops and the charging reactivates (which doesn’t cause an issue) and the charge limit is hit again and it starts again.

Do you know if there is a way to disable the bios charge limit? So the Laptop just is on power, as I only do this overnight and am okay with the battery life trade off for usability.

This is the method we have available to set or disable it. We do not have a means of do this inside of the OS.

What I do is set mine to 80% in BIOS and forget about it. On testing machines, I generally leave those as defaulted to 100%.

I’d do the comparisons between 100% and 85% charge limits. If you identify a bug, we can get this escalated from there.