RP2040 Microcontroller Expansion Card

Just a quick update, I basically finished the card’s schematic. The only thing I could see changing is the order of the pins

5 Likes

This sounds fantastic! I like the idea of swappable covers for the card as well. If I can suggest, my priority list for covers would include i2c and/or spi, then others. From that you can always hook up Stemma QT and/or QWIIC devices, and use all the little devices (including IO expansion) from Adafruit / SparkFun / etc. Overall, my priority list would be something like:

• I2C
  • TTL Serial
  • SPI
  • NeoPixel(s) indicator on outside shell
  • Button OR capacitive touch pad
  • more I/O pins
1 Like

Alright, so I worked on this some more, and found that I could not fit the required components in an expansion card, especially with the cover mechanism.
However, I did some more research and discovered the tomu.im, which definitely fits the space constraints, and contains an open source design. I am thinking about making boards based on that family. Each one would have an RGB LED, one or two touch pads, and some kind of pinout. What do people think of this idea?

3 Likes

Note that we publish two different PCB outlines. The retrofit outline is much smaller as it is designed to fit inside existing Expansion Card enclosures: ExpansionCards/Electrical/KiCad_templates/Expansion_Card_Retrofit at main · FrameworkComputer/ExpansionCards · GitHub

The normal outline is much larger, as it is designed for a “lidless” enclosure that is 3D printable: ExpansionCards/Electrical/KiCad_templates/Expansion_Card at main · FrameworkComputer/ExpansionCards · GitHub

3 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, I was already using the normal outline. The main reason I am having trouble with the RP2040 is because of its large size (for a microcontroller), 7 mm x 7 mm, as well as how many capacitors it requires. I am sure it is possible, but it looks significantly more difficult then other chips, without enough payoff.
I really appreciate how involved with the community you are.

3 Likes

That’s kind of a surprise, I was actually considering experimenting with just building an enclosure for an adafruit QT PY RP2040 with a male/male adapter for connection.

Is that too big?

No, I think that would work, the only two issues I see is the wasted LED and button, and interfacing with the pins.

With all these microcontroller expansion cards being worked on where would people like the outputs to be placed?

I’d assume the main issue is going to be having the gpio accessible while the laptop is on a surface.
I’m planning on testing a few configs once my qt py arrives in the mail, but my current hypothesis for this build is probably some female pin headers on either side of the i2c connector.

1 Like

I was actually doodling with this tonight, except I was using a Seeedstudio XIAO with a usb C M/M adapter.
I’m picturing the card sticking out about 10mm (due to the usb adapter) to fit some dupont breadboard IO connectors in there.
Excuse the messy handwriting, I didn’t really plan on posting it to everyone when I was tinkering.

fwxiaocard2

1 Like

As the Seeedstudio XIAO is open source with schematics available you could make your own PCB and get all the parts and make a proper expansion card, I can help with the design if needed.

2 Likes

The Microcontroller Expansion Card reference design is also similar to the XIAO and uses the same MCU.

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to find a good usb c male connector that I can swap the female connector on the QT for with a rework gun or hot plate. Unfortunately so far, all i’ve seen are ones that are a bit too short, or are designed to have the pins on either side of the pcb. I suppose I should spend more time digging through digikey or somewhere like that

1 Like

You need the molex 105444

2 Likes

Wonder if it would be possible to solder these together (or a similar model designed for being hand soldered) to make a shorter male to male stub/adapter/interposer?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294371669538?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Found this little guy today.

2 Likes

Okay now that is really cool!!
Never seen that one before. Good find!

Alright, I may take another crack at this. Are people alright with it sticking out a few millimeters?

@Yisroel_Newmark That’s probably fine. I wouldn’t say sticking out a few millimeters defeats the purpose of putting it in an expansion card.

If anyone wants me to integrate some of the boards into a expansion card just contact me and I will be able to set one up. I’m looking into doing that Serpente board and integrating it within the expansion card format with a few pin sockets for all the outputs.