Running Fusion 360

First off I am not well versed in computer hardware and capabilities. I needed to get a laptop because I recently bought a hobby CNC router and needed to design parts in Fusion 360. I originally bought a Dell but while it was shipping I ran across the Framework and from the discussion boards it seemed like for simple Fusion designs it should be fine, plus a really like what the company is trying to do and wanted to support it. However, I finally got everything setup and was doing a basic spoilboard design for the CNC bed and I keep running into problems with Fusion giving me errors. I am trying to run the pattern tool to create 4 copies a rectangular part with about 40 holes in it. I dont feel like this is an overly complicated part. Am I asking the laptop to do more than it can do? I have 2 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSD, Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7. Do I need to run a eGPU (looks expensive)? If so, what should I be looking at? I dont want to buy one that is more powerful than what can get pushed through the Thunderbolt connection but I also want one to do everything I need to do in Fusion.

I’ve used Inventor on my Framework with the same CPU but half the ram, and I’m sure I could do something like that. May be another issue, perhaps drivers?

Thanks for the response but I checked and it said it has the lastest driver.
Here is what I am trying to do

Here is the error I am getting

Here is the graphics information I found

May be a limitation of the GPU memory, Im not sure if theres a way to increase the pool it gets from the system

Hello I am looking all over to get information about running Fusion 360 and cannot seem to find what I am looking for. I am a woodworker and the most extensive model Id make is say a 1000 face cabinet project. Im totally a hobbyist. With no way to get my hands on a Framework 13 until commiting and buying. Im wondering if you, or anyone in this community has run Fusion 360 well on their machine. Id over compensate and get 64 GB ram, and the higher AMD ryzen CPU. HOpe someone can help me thank you for reading :slight_smile:

Honestly, the advice that you need a powerful machine to do CAD is not all that true. Sure if you have to open an assembly of a whole industrial machine every day you should look into a computer meant for CAD, but even for moderate assemblies basically any computer can do it.
Before I got my Framework a couple days ago, all I had was a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5 and I worked on assemblies with 100-200 components in Fusion 360 without a problem, or even really noticing a performance drop.
For reference, I bought a Framework 16 with the Ryzen 7 7840, 32GB RAM, and no graphics module (But I haven’t gotten around to trying Fusion yet), and at work I’ve got an HP ZBook Firefly 16 G10.

Hello, Thank you for finding my post and replying. This helped me a lot. I also saw Elevated Systems on YT, using his 13 inch to model some expansion bays and that basically sealed the deal for me. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, excited to get a 13 inch framework. May wait for 14th gen intel to buy in.

1 Like