Screen black, power button lit

Hello all,

I am running a 6th batch Framework laptop with an 11th Gen Intel i7 (all default parts) and Windows 10 (last updated around a month ago). Currently, my screen is black, but my power button and keyboard backlight are illuminated.

Earlier today, my screen was flashing black. A few times per second, it would jump back and forth between the display and an all-black screen.

I rebooted the computer through the Windows GUI. After shutting down, it seemed to start back up, but with the problem described above. The screen was not working.

I tried holding the power button for 30 seconds, and the lights all turned off, and the fan stopped after a few seconds. I waited a couple of minutes and pressed the button once, and the power button and keyboard backlight were illuminated again.

I tried holding the power button for 12 seconds, and the power button started flashing. I waited a couple minutes and pressed the button once, and it went back to the same problem.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this or what I can do to fix it?

Thank you for your help. I am sure I am missing something obvious.

Are you stacking the laptop on top of something that contains a magnet?

For example…this?
[SOLVED] Framework Laptop, Batch 6, monitor shuts off when touching M1 Mac Apple Logo - Community Support - Framework Community

1 Like

It is funny you mentioned that, because I do have a MacBook from my job. And this did occur while it was next to my MacBook.

I left the computer shut off and lid closed for about an hour and it’s working again.

Strange. Maybe it was the magnet issue. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

This issue has popped up for me again… I was able to confirm this time it’s not the lid sensor, since I can trip the lid sensor with a low power magnet and the screen still doesn’t come on. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thank you!

Hi @Brian_Schultz,

I would recommend submitting a ticket to our support team here: Framework | Support so they can ensure your laptop is performing as intended!

Thank you and have a great day!

@Brian_Schultz Did you resolve your issue? I’m having the same kind of behaviour, but sometimes my power button goes off, as if it goes into a sleep state, but mine didn’t flash randomly often, once it did that behaviour (of black screen coming on and off) 2 times in less than 30seconds, but that was about it.