Seeking Any Experiences: Framework 16 Laptop with DaVinci Resolve 18 or Other Video Editing Software

Hi everyone,

I haven’t received my Framework 16 Laptop yet, but a team member of mine is considering purchasing one specifically for video editing. We’re particularly interested in:

• How does the Framework 16 handle editing, rendering, and exporting in DaVinci Resolve 18 or later? (Or other video editing platforms)

• Have you encountered any performance issues or limitations?

• How does it perform with other video editing software compared to DaVinci Resolve?

If anyone has experience using the Framework 16 for video editing, please share your insights. Your feedback will be incredibly valuable in helping my team member make an informed decision.

Thank you in advance!

Here is a link to my experience so far. I’ve been crazy busy with other things, so I haven’t done any additional editing since creating this thread. But I have multiple video projects coming up, so I’ll be putting in some more hours with Davinci Resolve 18 soon.

1 Like

I’ve heard mixed things about Resolve in the FW16 so I’m going to try Kdenlive. It has all the features I use and it has some really cool proxy features

1 Like

Been editing on davinci resolve on windows 11 and it works great. Tried to install it on Linux but for some reason it crashed immediately. So windowsnit is for now for creative apps

1 Like

Just an update, Kdenlive is fantastic and the video rendering is super fast even on battery

1 Like

are you on fedora or ubuntu (or something else) by the way? if you are on fedora, did you install the freeworld versions (from rpm fusion) of the video acceleration api packages or did you stick with the stock ones?

fedoras default video acceleration drivers leave out a lot of codec support due to patent infringement concerns (which leaves hardware accelerated encode completely unsupported in software like obs from my experience) and you have to install the rpm fusion freeworld versions to get support.

1 Like

I have not moved to Linux yet, I’m thinking next year, so this was on Windows 11. But I’m probably going to be on Debian

1 Like

First off: I’m a big fan of Davinci Resolve, I switched to it from Adobe Premier and in my opinion, is better in every way.

Secondly: If they plan on running on linux, they will need either the Framework GPU bay or an eGPU to plug in. For whatever reason the dev team decided, Linux Davinici will not run without a gpu.

1 Like

I am targeting Debian next week so I need to take that in to account as all my Open Source performs better.

As far as your windows install is your experience with or without the GPU bay? I suspect your experience is with the FW16 standalone, correct?

1 Like

I agree and my intention is to GPU Bay up once I have the stability proven. Its been almost a month and Im very happy.

I do think Ill order the GPU Bay mid July!

1 Like

@CauseOfBSOD
I would be very interested in the experience here with Fedora and I am interested in the freeworld versions (from rpm fusion) and vidacc api

I am a debian os with OBS pm another box and need to consider your recommendation, it appears. Any hints or suggestions on off of the the framework?

I do have the DGpu on the framework 16. Davinci Resolve runs great on windows. Im just wondering if i did something wrong on my linux install. I really want to switch fully to linux

I am dual booting and installed Resolve on both. There were extra steps before it would run on Fedora. Check this out:

Note that it doesn’t solve the issue of the Linux version not supporting common codecs. I believe nothing with AAC audio is the problem for me? I don’t get it, but regardless it’s why I really only use it on Windows.

2 Likes