[RESPONDED] Framework 16 with gpu and davinci resolve on linux

Framework 13 user on fedora here, love this laptop! Has anyone tried davinci resolve on the framework 16 with the GPU? I can’t find any tests, benchmarks or reviews on that setup. Just curious. If it’s a decent experience I’m thinking of puling the trigger. I don’t need ultra fluid experince and ultra fast rendering. I just need it useable is all. Does anyone with the 16+gpu on linux have a couple hours to spare and try it out? happy to pay in internet karma :stuck_out_tongue:

I vaugly recall one of the reviewers running benchmarks with davinci, but I don’t remember who.

1 Like

Man I can’t find it for the life of me. I find ones with the framework 13 and an EGPU, but none on the 16 with the approved module :frowning:

Maybe here at 20:24?

1 Like

@FORREST_GREENE it also matters if you’re on Windows or Linux. Davinci Resolve simply will not run on Linux unless you have a dGPU, so regardless of what the performance is: if you’re on Linux the dGPU is prerequisite.

I think Phoronix tested it

Yes, it should be fine. No, we have not tested it for GPU rendering, etc.

In both instances, this will require the completely untested/unvetted by us proprietary GPU driver.

For Ubuntu (recommended):

I know these guys, Venn is an expert on this as of a month ago, this worked.

For Fedora (Expect some issues):

Edit:

1 Like

Just to be clear, packaged drivers are not the same as proprietary drivers :slight_smile:
The packaged drivers build the entire open source ROCm stack into binaries. Fedora is also working on packaging it all directly so you don’t need to use any of the AMD repos and binaries if you don’t want to.

4 Likes

Ah, good point. Old habit. (Habit going back some years, Mario likely gets I find myself in NVIDIA-mode sometimes)

FYI, Mario is the authority here on these types of matters - if they say it’s a thing, it’s a thing. Seriously.

Man, this is great! :slight_smile:

So getting it running is one thing, but I think it’s also worth noting the limitations the Linux version has vs. Windows or even Mac. The biggest one for me is that there is zero AAC support. Looking at my video library, every source I have uses AAC! I really don’t want to have to run everything through Handbrake before being able to work with it, possibly after as well. I was really hoping to finally break away from Windows, but I may end up dual-booting after all…

So I asked Blackmagic support and they told me this: “We only provide support for Centos 7 or Rocky Linux.”

So before I try this, has anyone have any experience with the combination FW16&dgpu + either of these Linux distro’s and Davinci Resolve?

I am aware of the EOL of CentOS7.

1 Like

This video mentions davinci resolve.

1 Like

I’ve just got Resolve up and running on my 16 which arrived today using this flatpak version of Resolve. GitHub - pobthebuilder/resolve-flatpak: Flatpak packaging for Blackmagicdesign DaVinci Resolve

The version requires some patches to get running correctly, but if otherwise it all works!
I have a pre-patched version on git and opened an MR - GitHub - RobotRoss/resolve-flatpak at unified-patches

Note: Resolve Studio seems to currently have a bug which causes it to crash when checking USB license keys. Seems to be an upstream issue as far as I can tell - Blackmagic Forum • View topic - Davinci Resolve Crashing on AMD Laptops

2 Likes

Yeah, Windows Drivers are… not something I’d want to try this with. It strange typing that, but the Linux drivers for AMD are far superior to the Windows drivers if you ignore the GUI tool and just look at driver functionality.

And this makes sense considering AMD drivers in Linux aren’t just developed by AMD, but by several others including Valve (massive contributor) who decided AMD’s methods with LLVM weren’t gonna cut it and fully developed ACO from scratch which is used by RADV (Linux’s open Radeon Vulkan driver).

1 Like

Just as a note, seems like there’s a bug with Resolve Studio crashing when using a USB license dongle.