Self-built laptop 16: 2-in-1, Pen, OLED, AV1 and AirJet cooling

667cced6a875d3d86a43ec205b604758

8 Likes

I have to agree on that. Itā€™s shiny with unicorns and stuff, but in the long run if you have to work on it, you start to hate it pretty fast if you canā€™t choose your workplace to get out of the light!

I do have quite a few oled devices and know how to take care of them and I am able to get out of the light. Itā€™s not for everyone but calling it trash is equally wrong.

Also the technology has come a long way, apparently dell has the balls to give you explicit burn-in warranty on the new oled monitors now.

Before we can get affordable miniaturized micro-led itā€™s the best we can get right now, unfortunately not in any size that comfortably fits the framework 13 though.

2 Likes

The brightness really isnā€™t that low anymore. Current screens are capable of very high brightness, especially the Samsung QOLED ones. Iā€™m using an LG 48 C2 as my main monitor and a friend of mine has the Samsung Odyssey G8 and that thing is jaw dropping beautiful.

LCD just canā€™t compete in the blacks and colors right now. MiniLED is starting to get there, but only for TVs. MicroLED still seems to be off for a little while.

So for the moment, OLED is definitely the best screen technology, as long as you donā€™t sit in the sun at noon. Most screens wouldnā€™t do well in that setting anyways.

4 Likes

Pedantic clarification: I assume you mean QD-OLED? Samsung sells QD-OLED (OLED with a quantum dot layer) and QLED monitors (LCD with LED backlight and quantum dot layer).

Thatā€™s the point. When traveling, you never really find a dark spot to work in.
And, to be honest, these screens very rarely have a matt surface (only glare to be found). Reason most of the laptops out there are definitely a no-go for me a my family.
You can see the white in your eyes when working on these.

Itā€™s almost like people use technology in different ways and are willing to make tradeoffs to fit their needs XD.

1 Like

Sure and thatā€™s why Framework needs to cater to the most likely use case. Started with glossy screens and soon realized just how many people preferred matteā€¦now we have matte as a default. They are simply in no position to hunt that niche customer in what amounts to an already niche market at this time.

My point is that OLED is very similar in brightness to most modern panels. Thanks to better colors, viewing angles and way better contrast they should keep up with LCDs in pretty much every situation. The bigger thing to look out for is matte/glossy if you want to work outside with (indirect) sunlight.

The biggest issue with OLED is imo the different subpixel layouts that make text fringe. Iā€™ve seen this both on Samsungs and LGs layouts and even on a small laptop screen (probably 2.8k res) of a Samsung laptop I could definitely make out the color fringing.

For my LG 48 C2 I could circumvent this issue by using greyscale AA everywhere itā€™s possible, using fonts.conf and some other configs. On Windows thereā€™s MacType, but imo the results were worse than the ones I achieved in Linux (though I put more time into that, as thatā€™s my daily driver).

Generally I think OLED is definitely very competitive and really worth it for the colors and contrast. Iā€™d love to see an OLED panel upgrade in a few years, ideally with 120+Hz and 1600p or more.

1 Like

Donā€™t forget the motion clarity and pixel response times

1 Like