Self-built laptop 16: 2-in-1, Pen, OLED, AV1 and AirJet cooling

There is no laptop, it fulfils my requirements.

The rest of the other components are fine for me, I need full AMD system with Linux support.

Welcome to the forum.
You plan to build that? Good luck! Especially with the Frore Systems cooling. The cooling capacity of those are limited, and it requires a lot more power than a fan does.

As soon as an oled panel that fits the framework 13 shows up I am gonna try to bully it in there XD.

The airjets are a neat tech demo at this point but may get interesting in a few generations.

But I think, if a normal fan and a fanless cooler (AirJet) consume the same watts, but the fanless cooler is more cooling than the fan? This depends on the controller of fan power consumption in mainboard or CPU or system.

Is AirJet mini cooling probably enough for notebooks without a gaming GPU?

Unfortunately, 13-inch is small for me. I want 16-inch.

Pretty much the opposite, airjets consume quite a bit more power for the same cooling and do a lot less cooling than current solutions. That may reverse if the generational improvements they promised hold.

Not really. They are also not as silent as some people may think. The main perk right now is how thin they are and the ability to be filtered.

16 is too big for me I want 13 or maybe 14 but the chasis is 13 so I am gping with that for now XD

3 Likes

Id love to see framework introduce touchscreen panels with pen support for the 16 and 13 now. There would be a lot of cool community projects done making tablet and 2 in 1 conversions.

2 Likes

I forgot one of my requirements:

Does anyone know if there is a current iGPU that supports AV1 decoding?

Done (intel had it for a while and the new amd ones have av1 too now), though on the amd side the hw decoder is a bit more power hungry than it should be on linux.

I see

AMD Ryzen 7000 series or new has AV1 encode/decode for max. 4K@60FPS 8K@60FPS on laptop.
Intel 13th supports max. 8K@60FPS

Is there any information about Intel vs AMD AV1 encode/decode?

1 Like

According to your link it can do 8k60 encode and decode, where did you get the 4k from?

What kind of info are you looking for?

You are right.

4320p60 8/10bpc AV1

That is not 4k but 8K.

You mentioned this information. That’s why I asked where the information comes from:

Well for one I have one but other than that the spec-sheet you listed is one of those sources.

Im curious, do OLED laptop screen suffer the same dust and fingerprint attraction problem that glossy screens have?

I have no experience with OLED screens for laptops and currently do not see any issue report about OLED screens from 2023 until now.

I think that a screen protector as an additional offer could protect the screen like the behavior of smartphone’s screen. Or I use a special cleaner to clean my monitor.

For pen/touch input, I think one of the most interesting computers available now for that is the Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio. Its hinge mechanism is quite fascinating, allowing it to “transform” between laptop mode and tablet mode.

However, I don’t believe the screen is OLED. And it has Intel/Nvidia processors, and it (naturally) comes with Windows installed… Though I’m sure Linux could be installed on it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/surface-laptop-studio-2/8rqr54krf1dz

As for OLED, I know that Asus is now shipping computers with OLED screens, including the very interesting dual-screened Zenbook Duo. Which also has pen/touch support.

However, it’ll also be running Intel processors and comes with Windows.

At this time, Framework does not have an OLED option for either the 13 or 16… but given that you can replace the screen yourself, there’s always the possibility of replacing the default screen with an OLED one.

Framework also doesn’t have pen/touch support on either the 13 or the 16, but did note in the 16 deep dive about the screen that touch support is built into the screen connector allowing for it as a possible future upgrade (not sure if this is also the case with the 13, though).

the 780M build into the 7840U alone has AV1 encode/decode hardware acceleration via AMF tho? Encode/AV1 – FFmpeg

the additional 7700S in theory should also have the capability.

Navi 3x (RDNA3) uses VCN4 which supports AV1 Decode/Encode. Unified Video Decoder - Wikipedia

Its definitely not NVENC/NVDEC level, but it does exist.

OLED is trash and always will be. they have a major burn in problem and is much worse with any pc system and static pieces you can’t avoid it. Micro LED is the only thing I would wait for in the mean time mini LED suffices.

Still, it kind of makes sense to put it in the Framework, right? At least if you get burn in, you’d be able to swap the panel out easier than anything else on the market, hands down.

6 Likes

I would say that’s more of a personal opinion (not counting the fact they actually do suffer from burn in lol). Maybe for your use case it may not be worth the trouble of replacing the screen after a while but there quite a few screens out there that have really cool technology to increase the screen’s longevity.
Based on the fact that this laptop gives you the option to swap it out, I would say there are many people that would appreciate having the option for an OLED screen and may even be a deal breaker because of their use case.

Edit: to add on, there is also the e-waste aspect but I personally dont have enough knowledge on OLED screens to comment on this but I’m sure this community knows/can find amazing solutions!

3 Likes

Just chiming in with the fact that I’ve been rocking the very 1st Gen Lenovo X1 Yoga OLED for almost 7.5 years, and I’ve had zero burn in or image retention on it.

Keep in mind I’ve mostly used Linux on it with dark mode and a taskbar that is slightly lower brightness than the rest being at max, but yeah, heavy usage including work from home using Linux, and no burn-in.

Also note these are true RGB OLED screens from Samsung, which is different than the WOLED or QD-OLED tech used in OLED TVs and now desktop monitors, but even for those the issue has been quite mitigated by other changes such as intelligent firmware features.

I’m extremely excited for microLED as well!
That’ll take a bit longer.

In the meantime, I’d love an OLED Framework, even if I must apply some elbow grease to make it happen

7 Likes