Shipping to Japan?

I am interested in purchasing an AMD mainboard for my framework 13 but I am currently living in Japan. I was wondering if framework will start shipping to Japan anytime in the near future.

I have seen some 3rd party services for shipping to Japan, but it seems like a hassle.

Thanks.

Framework doesn’t announce expansions until they are ready to launch in those countries. You can register your interest by signing up under a country on the main page. Those services that you mentioned are Freight Forwarding Services which Framework prohibits the use of. Attempting to do so can lead to your order being cancelled and payment method blacklisted.

Maybe take a trip to Taiwan, ship it to the hotel (forget this…no temporary accommodation) AirBnB (how would they know… :grin:). Warranty and support will be problematic though.

Gotcha. Thanks for letting me know. I registered for regions updates about 6 months back. My situation is odd because I purchased the laptop in the United States and then moved to Japan. There isn’t anything wrong with my laptop besides a dead bios battery I swapped out, so I will be fine.

I assume there isn’t high demand for frameworks in Japan atm.

2 Likes

At least the BIOS will need to be in Japanese, I would think.

…Would be cool to get “framework” in Japanese on the bezel. (But that’s extremely expensive to implement, just for one region)

1 Like

First of all, let me begin by saying that I have no idea why Framework is not yet in Japan. I guess they have introduced a lot of countries anyway, so it’s not like they have been sitting idle.

However, here is my hunch.

It’s more like Japan is a genius in designing regulatory barriers, so that it’s close to impossible to enter their market, even though “on the paper” they are theoretically open to the world and provide a free market. They do that in order to favor their own industry, it’s just protectionism.

The last in date: since very recently, Japan requires all manufacturers to have a representative residing in Japan, in order to be able to be held accountable (and be sucked into the meanders of the hellish Japanese judiciary system) if anything goes wrong.

2 Likes

Hey Landen, we are not shipping to Japan yet. Please register your interest from this link: Framework | Fix Consumer Electronics

If/when we start shipping to Japan, You’ll receive an email.

2 Likes

Hello, I’m a Japanese living in Japan.
I thought this laptop was very cool, and my friend and I tried to buy it, but it seems that it can’t be shipped to Japan yet, so we decided to wait.
It’s true that there may not be much demand for it now, but I think that if it’s featured on gizmodo or somewhere, a lot of people will be interested in it as soon as it’s featured.

By the way, there is no demand for a Japanese BIOS. Even Japanese geeks are used to English BIOS. Some people like Japanese keyboards, but many people like US keyboards.
It’s hard to get a US keyboard layout in Japan, so it’s very nice to have that option.

If you write “Framework” in Japanese, Japanese people might think it’s made in Japan.
But I think it would be nice if it had a sticker (users can choose whether to put it on or not). I would put it on lol

I don’t know if this message will reach the Framework team, but I hope it will be available for purchase in Japan.

---- In Japanese ----

こんにちは、私は日本に住んでいる日本人です。
このラップトップはとてもクールだと思っていて、僕と友人が購入しようとしましたがまだ日本に発送できないようなので待つことにしました。
確かに今は需要が少ないかもしれませんが、gizmodoなどで取り上げるとすぐに興味を持つ人がたくさん現れるんじゃないかと思います。

ちなみに、BIOSの日本語化は求められていません。日本人でも、ギークは英語のBIOSに慣れています。キーボードは日本語の配列が好きな人もいますが、US配列が好きな人も多いです。
日本ではUS配列のラップトップが手に入りづらいので、むしろそれが選択できることはとても喜ばれます。

日本語で「フレームワーク」と書くと、日本人はそれを日本製だと思うかもしれませんね。
でも、ステッカーがついていたら(貼るかどうかはユーザーが選択できるので)嬉しいと思います。僕なら貼ります 笑

このメッセージがFrameworkのチームに届くかわかりませんが、日本で購入できるようになることを祈っています。

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It does seem a long wait, but apart from the legislation etc. maybe they are working on a Japanese keyboard as we type.

All the best.

Japan has a good sized tech savvy population, so I would expect quite a big market for FW laptops.
They are also pretty close with United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, so well worth including as a country to ship to.

1 Like

It seems that there are already some articles about Framework Laptop on Gizmodo Japan.

Framework Laptop site:www.gizmodo.jp

The Japanese layout keyboard is already in production.

1 Like

For Framework’s plan to support Japan, I found the following article including an interview. translating the Japanese text into English. That means Framework would consider the possibility of supporting Japan as their plan, but they are not sure when they can support Japan, because they need to pay a cost to gain a certification, etc.

日本発売は…

プランとして考えてはいるが、承認などの獲得にコストがかかるためいつ実現できるかはわからない。

1 Like