[Show] RGB LED Matrix Input Module

Hi everyone, I wanted to show off my RGB LED Matrix input module using addressable LEDs. I’ve been working on this project for a while. You might have seen me posting about it in the project channel in the Discord server. But, now that I have finally tested it with code, I wanted to show it off!

Check out the rainbow video demo!

Here are some pictures of with the demo code running at 40% brightness. All while staying under the 500mA current limit for input modules.

Feel free to check out the PCB on my github here: https://github.com/corndog2000/RGB-LED-Matrix-Input-Module

Let me know if you have any questions about the board!

25 Likes

Here are some pictures of the module.

16 Likes

This is awesome! It might also be interesting to design this in a way that it can retrofit into the mechanical enclosure for our regular LED Matrix Input Module.

10 Likes

Rainbow Wave demo:

10 Likes

Hello everyone! I have exciting news! I have been working on a revision 2 of the module! Here are some 3D renders.

I haven’t started producing these modules yet. I still have to complete some final polishing before getting any PCBs produced. But, this module changes the LED matrix topology from 16 strips each with 18 LEDs to 8 strips each with 36 LEDs. This greatly simplifies programming efforts since Adafruit has a great library for fast addressable LED updates using DMA. Here is a link to the library: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_NeoPXL8

They have a version for Arduino C/C++ and CircuitPython to allow you to pick which language you want to program the RP2040 in.

I have changed the level shifters used to safe some cost. Switches are now on the back of the PCB to make room for the LED matrix.

Let me know if you have any questions!

11 Likes

I am happy to announce that I am working to produce 10 prototypes of the revision 2 board. With the help of Arya, Nirav, and Josh Cook I have been able to design revision 2. Josh has graciously offered to assemble my 10 prototypes. Hopefully I’ll have my hands on the new PCB in the next few weeks!

Here are some new renders of the module in a panel for easier production and assembly.

10 Likes

This looks awesome! Just a note that if at all possible, it’s best to put the passives on the bottom side and to also keep the top side silkscreen blank. We found in prototyping that having anything but the LEDs on the top side degrades the viewing clarity.

8 Likes

I should be able to test the module without those capacitors on the top to see if they are necessary. I did notice that on the official LED matrix module there wasn’t any silk screen. I’ll have to wait and see how the modules look in-person.

4 Likes

This looks great! Do you have any plans to release something more official? I’d love to purchase one or two or just order them from some place myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just in time for the introduction of Batch 1 of the FW16. :+1: :+1: :+1:

I was looking at modifying my order to add the LED matrix modules, but I would serious;ly get these instead.

3 Likes

I do! I’m waiting for new PCBs that will be a drop-in replacement for the official LED matrix PCB. So, if you already purchased the Framework LED matrix you should be able to switch out the circuit board for the RGB boards.

Framework sent me an LED matrix module to prototype with. I am not sure if I will be able to purchase the plastic and metal components for the input module from Framework to sell on my own. Or if I will be able to sell the modules through the marketplace.

2 Likes

I’m batch 1 too! @Joseph_Schroedl so I should still get the LED matrix modules because chances are I’ll need the plastic and metal components to make the RGB upgrade?

2 Likes

I’m not sure how I’ll be able to distribute the modules. It will definitely be easier for me to mail just the PCBs since that wouldn’t require any coordination with Framework. But, I have not worked out anything with Framework where they would supply me with the metal and plastic components.

1 Like

In view of what you have done, and the support already received, I’m sure they will work out some way of supplying the mechanical hardware required.

The same hardware could well be applicable to other module designs as well.

2 Likes

I won’t want to tell you how to spend your money, especially since my PCBs aren’t ready yet. But, there may be a way for me to sell the whole module but with my PCB instead of the official LED matrix PCB.

3 Likes

The PCB fits! I need to assemble one this weekend!

10 Likes

oh, that looks great. videos if it works? really looking forward to seeing it in action.

2 Likes

I’ll definitely send a video of the first assembled PCB!

5 Likes

That looks amazing. Please tell me you aren’t going to hand solder 306 LEDs.

7 Likes

No way that I’m doing that again :sweat_smile:. The first prototype I showed off in this thread took me 45 minutes to hand place all the LEDs. I recently took a training session at my university. Now I can use the bench top pick and place machine they have. I’m planning on assembling a board this weekend.

8 Likes