Solution: Framework AMD Windows 24h2 upgrade

When I try to update to Windows 11 24h2, the installation always freezes with a black screen.
After hard power off, everything was undone on next boot.

The solution was to set the iGPU to GAMING in the BIOS. With the GAMING setting, I was able to successfully update to 24h2.

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. I have asked internally about pinning this for anyone else experiencing update issues on their AMD based Framework product.

In the meantime thanks again!

1 Like

Hi @Heinz-Willi_Eichmeye, our engineering team has posted an update to this thread with an updated driver bundle. With the Windows update installed (which you have sorted with the tweak to BIOS, you can use the updated driver installer here.

The direct exe download for the compatible driver bundle is here.

2 Likes

I upgraded my FWLT13 (AMD 7840U) from W11 23H2 to W11 24H2 without setting the iGPU to GAMING.

I downloaded a W11 ISO, mounted it, and then opened the mounted ISO which autoran the setup.exe on the ISO.

My wallpaper did get set to solid black, but I easily set it back to the custom slideshow I prefer.

It also forgot the Wi-Fi passphrase needed to autoconnect to my Wi-Fi, so I just re-entered it.

1 Like