[SOLVED] Camera quit working (no device found)

Environment: 11th gen batch 5 running fully-updated Manjaro linux. Kernel 5.15.85 (Haven’t changed kernels in a bit).

Situation: I last used my webcam about a month ago. I just tried to use my camera for a Zoom meeting and it doesn’t detect the camera.

What I’ve tried:

• Confirmed the hardware switch is not red.
  • Testing with Cheese shows “No device detected.”
  • Rebooted the laptop, but same results.
  • Tried with kernel 6.1.
  • Booted into my backup Ubuntu. Same thing.
  • Removed and re-installed the webcam module.

lsusb

Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 27c6:609c Shenzhen Goodix Technology Co.,Ltd. Goodix USB2.0 MISC
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 8087:0032 Intel Corp. AX210 Bluetooth
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 11th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 01)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] (rev 01)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation TigerLake-LP Dynamic Tuning Processor Participant (rev 01)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 11th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (rev 01)
00:07.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Thunderbolt 4 PCI Express Root Port #0 (rev 01)
00:07.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Thunderbolt 4 PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev 01)
00:07.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Thunderbolt 4 PCI Express Root Port #2 (rev 01)
00:07.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Thunderbolt 4 PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev 01)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation GNA Scoring Accelerator module (rev 01)
00:0a.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Tigerlake Telemetry Aggregator Driver (rev 01)
00:0d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Thunderbolt 4 USB Controller (rev 01)
00:0d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Thunderbolt 4 NHI #0 (rev 01)
00:0d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Thunderbolt 4 NHI #1 (rev 01)
00:12.0 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Integrated Sensor Hub (rev 20)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 xHCI Host Controller (rev 20)
00:14.2 RAM memory: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Shared SRAM (rev 20)
00:15.0 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 20)
00:15.1 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #1 (rev 20)
00:15.3 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Serial IO I2C Controller #3 (rev 20)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Management Engine Interface (rev 20)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Device a0b1 (rev 20)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP LPC Controller (rev 20)
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller (rev 20)
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP SMBus Controller (rev 20)
00:1f.5 Serial bus controller: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP SPI Controller (rev 20)
01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Sandisk Corp WD Black SN750 / PC SN730 NVMe SSD
aa:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX210/AX211/AX411 160MHz (rev 1a)

I’m definitely not seeing a camera there. No sign of it in my boot log, either.

Possibly Relevant: Last week I updated from BIOS 3.10 to 3.17. The update went smoothly.

On a hunch, I tested my microphone since it’s part of the same module–it isn’t working either. Sounds a lot like my webcam module has died.

Look forward to any further debugging ideas before I purchase a replacement webcam module.

Silly question, but the camera switch is in the enabled position, i.e. it’s not showing red next to it, right? When it’s in the disabled position, the camera drops off lsusb - that’s intended behavior.

If it’s still not showing up when the switch has it enabled

It could be a mechanical issue with the switch/mechanism. From what I remember there’s an optical sensor and a piece of (plastic?) involved in actuating the privacy switch. I know it’s been discussed in this forum but can’t find it atm.

You can also try peeling off the bezel (it’s magnetically attached to the display cover) and see if something’s obviously loose with the camera and/or the privacy switch/mechanism.

(edit for my lack of reading carefully)

More edit: webcam cable?

I haven’t looked, but outside of a hardware error / problem, is it possible that software via an update hosed the camera configuration? Linux is proned to doing things like that, in my experience. Also, while I see you’ve tried a different newer kernel, do you remember the kernel that you saw it working on?

Linux bundles all drivers into the kernel, so if the kernel is missing the driver, it won’t load either.

Thanks for the suggestions. I went the full step of physically uninstalling and reinstalling the webcam module. The webcam cable looks okay, but I’d need a magnifying glass to inspect it better ;- )

The privacy switch looks okay. Tried it with the bezel peeled out, which should disable the sensor, but it still doesn’t work.

Was working on kernel 5.15.85, which I’ve been running on for months. I did a brief stint with 6.0, but never used the camera. Tested against 6.1, but am back on 5.15.85.

The microphone doesn’t use the same driver as the camera, so the fact that it’s also failing seems an indication of a hardware or cable problem.

1 Like

I would contact Framework support at this point. It seems your webcam module MIGHT be kaput.

2 Likes

maybe you could try reinstalling the old bios to see if that fixes it first, but I agree with 2disbetter

1 Like

This could be a hardware issue, however, let’s check a few things first. Let’s tackle this using an approach I’ve found to be reliable at determining if the device is genuinely detected or not. Some of this may be already attempted, but please reply back with the output for each regardless. Trust me on this.

Check modules again, past output

sudo lsmod | grep uvc

If it is showing modules loaded (uvcvideo)…

Install and use these tools - may already be installed.

v4l-utils ffmpeg

What is the output of:

v4l2-ctl --list-devices

If a webcam is showing, let’s test this outside of Cheese. Note, the framerate is going to be terrible, but that’s fine, we’re just looking for motion and an picture.

ffplay /dev/video0

If this doesn’t work, try video1 instead. Cheese is not a great means of troubleshooting webcams. The above approach, is a far better software testing suite.

1 Like

@Matt_Hartley Thanks for weighing in! It’s nice to have a linux guru on hand.

sudo lsmod | grep uvc shows no results.

$ v4l2-ctl --list-devices

Cannot open device /dev/video0, exiting.
1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Yeah, this sounds like the hardware for the cutoff may be “off” the rails somewhere.

Before we go down the hardware route, triple check those same commands with an Ubuntu 22.10 ISO on USB. You can actually install v4l-utils ffmpeg on the live ISO and run the test again.

Same result?

From there, let’s check the connections inside the laptop?

Start here at Step 11:

And if you feel comfortable, this guide as well.

We just want to make sure these connections look good. If they do, then it’s worth opening a ticket with support and letting them know the Linux Support Lead has determined based on testing the installed distro, a live distro and checking connections physically that the camera appears to have gone bad.

Thanks Matt. I already removed and re-installed the webcam module. It looks like the most relevant step in the mainboard replacement is to check the webcam cable. When I have a bit of time, I’ll take a look at it.

1 Like

@Matt_Hartley

I opened up the laptop and checked the webcam connection to the mainboard. It looks fine (I disconnected and reconnected it). But I noticed that the webcam module cable is frayed where it runs across the hinge into the display. If that’s the case, it’s not the webcam module, but the cable that’s the problem.

Ooof, yeah, this needs to be a support ticket for sure to get that replaced.

Mystery solved. So while this is an ongoing thing as a ticket needs to be opened to resolve this hardware issue, we have a cause and a solution (replacement).

Marking this solved. If you need anything else on this thread, just reply to it. But the cause and solution are addressed.

Thanks Matt. I opened the ticket. At the support team’s request I was able to get a better photo and can see there’s a complete break in the cable. I suspect it abraided as the hinge opened and closed.

@nrp Looking at the way the cables run through the hinge into the display, I wonder if FW will be seeing more of this sort of problem as the laptops age. Some sort of grommet or sleeve around the cables where they cross the hinge might not be a bad idea.

Working with support on this.

I just installed the new CNC display (and added 4kg hinges while at it), but the system still isn’t detecting the camera or microphone. At this point, I would suspect it’s either (1) the webcam module or (2) the connector to the mainboard, most likely the webcam module. I’m continuing with the support ticket I opened earlier, so we’ll see what the tech team has to say.

The CNC lid’s nice, and I really like the new hinges. After a year, the display finally stays exactly where I put it!

1 Like

@Richard_Tango-Lowy Thanks for the update. Yes, please keep working with support as this is a hardware issue.

New webcam module on the way…

and the webcam and microphone are working again!

Thank you, Matt. And the support team was very helpful.

Made my day to hear that! :slight_smile: Delighted to hear the good news.