[SOLVED] Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon Recurring Problems

Oh I did do ISO mode since it was recommended, thank you! I will try that tomorrow when I see my friend again.

Any time I have tried ISO mode it fails to make a truly bootable usb stick, yet rufus still recommends it SMH.

1 Like

Still no luck… I’m no longer getting errno 5, but I got one that looked like this: linux mint installation fail /target/usr/share/icons/mint-X/mimetypes/96/text-x-javascript.svg did not match its source copy.

Now the installer is crashing without telling me the problem. I’m going to go ahead and order a new hard drive….

1 Like

Did you verify the checksum of the installer?

@Anachron Yes, I did.

Another weird thing is that at first Firefox works from the live boot, but after trying to install it fails.

Is smartctl a reliable way to check on the condition of your hard drive? I’m still very hesitant to buy a new one.
@nadb New edit to message below. Now sure if @ ing you again in the same message would do anything so I did it in another one.

Yes smartctl is one of the few ways to check the condition of your hard drive. I would be hesitant to buy a new one as well. I would be more inclined to download the iso file for linux mint form a different mirror and create yet another fresh installabel usb with the new iso. It has happened in the past that an iso on a particular mirror is simply broken.

Also I would consider installing a fully supported version of linux like Ubuntu or Fedora where at least you can leverage the framework documentation, the linux support personnel, and the greater community to better effect. For instance Fedora is my thing along with pretty much any Redhat related product. Ubuntu has not really been in my wheelhouse for a decade and Linux Mint even less so. Yeah I know my way around and can troubleshoot, but it all takes me a lot longer. Likewise people immersed in the Debian tree usually have similar issues with regards to Redhat stuff.

So my point is whatever tree you are using try to move closer to the source. Linux Mint is a heavily modified Ubuntu based distro. Move up to Ubuntu to avoid the unwitting trouble those modifications may be causing if downloading a fresh iso from a different mirror does not work. If Ubuntu also gives an issue, open a support ticket, because at that point it is beginning to point to a real hardware issue, especially if you have reseated everything and tried multiple distros, updated the firmware etc.

1 Like

Ok great! All clear with smartctl as far as my hard drive. Maybe I will still get a new USB drive, but when I see mentions of someone having success with a new one they say they switched from something cheap to a Sandisk, which is what I already have.

I rewrote the USB drive with Etcher instead of Rufus. When using smartctl from the live boot I took my time, opened up Firefox- it all seemed to work smoothly until I tried and failed with the installer.

Ok, I’ll try with Ubuntu. Shouldn’t be that different, especially since I was going with a different form of Mint already at the suggestion of the CS professor (MATE instead of Cinnamon). Thank you for your help!

Did a restart after an install fail and yeah- Firefox no longer works with the live boot afterwards, until I rewrite it. So strange.

@nadb It wouldn’t let me make another reply, saying new users have a limit on their first day (???).
I considered that the Wifi might be an issue, so I tried installing without being connected but that didn’t help. I also tried with an ethernet connection.
I have no clue. How do I check that?

In fstab is says: overlay / overlay rw 0 0
tmpfs /temp tmpfs nosuid,nodev 0 0
So. I don’t know which that means.
Also by initial install do you mean the original version of Mint I was running? I have no way to check, as it seems like it was wiped through the first reinstall attempt. Without the live boot, it boots to Gnu Grub.

Also I got errno 5 with Ubuntu… I’ll admit, I couldn’t figure out how to do the authentication part for it like I could with Mint, but I got the hash and it matched.

What does your network connection look like while you are doing this? Is it up the whole time? If not try an offline install i.e. do not update packages during install. Another question was your initial install a zfs install or and lvm install?

1 Like

Open /etc/fstab and see if the entries for your drive are ext4 or zfs.

1 Like

I got a few new USB drives, downloaded the Mint MATE ISO from a different mirror, and I verified the hash. One I used Rufus in DD mode, the other I used Etcher.
On my first live boot with one of them, I first tried opening Firefox. It crashed. Something interesting shows with dmesg -kw though: ACPI BIOS Error (bug) could not resolve symbol.
I will look into this now, and how to update the BIOS.

Ok I think I successfully updated it.

First time I live booted after the BIOS update it froze after I opened Firefox and I had to hold down the power button to shut it off.
The second time, Firefox was fine, but the installer crashed before I finished typing the computer name and password, and then it froze.
The issue can’t be with the installation medium, I tried two new USBs. But it also shouldn’t be with the hard drive, since smartctl said it was fine.

On the second attempt it got further, but ran into failure with a message that reads ‘The following file did not match its source copy on the CD/DVD’

This is sounding like either a hardware issue or graphics issue. Specifically using old graphics packages with firefox possibly trying to use hardware acceleration that is fully configured but the graphics drivers are not fully updated. I would 1) Not open FIrefox until the distro is installed. 2) Install the distro and then fully update it in a console. i.e. alt+ctrl+f4 or f5 or f6 whatever takes you away from the graphical login.

1 Like

Avoided opening Firefox, and I got errno 5.
Half the time Firefox works, half it doesn’t. Last time I booted from Ubuntu on one of my flash drives, Firefox worked but then Libreoffice didn’t, even though it did the previous day.

Do you know how I might figure out what hardware is broken?

Part of me is wondering if an ant crawled in there and caused all of this. It would explain how sudden it was, and why nothing is working.
Update: opened it up, couldn’t spot anything with a flashlight. Drats.

Without a functioning OS/distro I am out of ideas. I would try Fedora 37 and if that fails I would open a support ticket and point them to this thread. The only thing I can think of that might be breaking things at this point is possibly secure boot. Outside of that I would have to say the likelihood of a motherboard issue is pretty high especially if smartctl showed no issues and memtest showed no issues.

1 Like

Oh, I haven’t tried memtest. I looked in to it but couldn’t figure it out at the time.

Do a memtest to make sure it ain’t a bad stick of RAM, which with the symptoms you are having would not be very surprising.

1 Like

I followed this guide the best I could (the command to unmount didn’t give an output, dunno if that is normal) MemTest86 - Creating a MemTest86 bootable USB Flash drive in Linux/Mac
When booting, the memtest logo showed up, I didn’t know what to do with the settings so I let it go automatically. It ran for nine seconds, and then there was two little popping noises and it froze…

Nonononono, now I’m trying to use the Ubuntu live boot and its in a cycle of failing to send crash reports.
It is completely busted now ): I am hoping it is just the RAM. I wish I did my work first, I didn’t think it could do this

Update: there are no visible differences inside.

Mint MATE was able to open just now. I thought something in there just got completely broken, I’m very relieved.
Maybe I will ask the CS professor to help me with memtest.

One new thing that I just noticed is how Firefox failed, I rebooted, Firefox failed again, rebooted and then it froze at the selection screen before Mint boots. But then I turned off the computer and replugged the installation medium. After that, Firefox worked. Could it be something with the ports? I hope not, since I tried two different slots and two different Framework adaptors (forgot if they have a special name, but you know the ones)