[SOLVED] Screen tear with videos manjaro

Solution: Seems to be a known issue with X11 on intel graphics, following This guide from the Arch Wiki seems to fix it.

So I’ve been using my laptop with Manjaro for a few days and I’ve noticed about 1/8th down the screen from the top a horizontal line appears where that above and below it are slightly out of sync (the top is on one frame where the bottom is on another). This issue does not seem to effect text but does effect video from VLC, MPV, Youtube on Firefox, etc. I’m not sure if its a driver or hardware issue. Please advise.

Hardware:
i5-1135G7
2 x 8 GB DDR4-3200

Software:
Manjaro
Kernel 5.14.10
lspci reports kernel driver as “i915”
Display is set at 2256x1504@60hz

EDIT 10/30/21: In case this is a hardware issue, my laptop was in batch 4, perhaps others in this batch have the same issue?

2 Likes

I’ve noticed the same issue with video sources and in the one video game I’ve tested so far.

Also happen to be in Batch 4.

Hardware:
i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz
1 x 16 GB DDR4-3200

Kernel: 5.13.19-2-MANJARO
lspci also reports the kernal driver as “i915” for me as well.
Also using the same resolution: 2256x1504@60hz

If I find any resolution or get around to testing with another Distro I will post here.

Are you seeing this in X11 or Wayland?

I’ve been using X11, haven’t tried Wayland.

Yeah screen tearing in X takes some tweaking to fix.

Do a bit of googling on Intel, X11, and screen tearing. You’ll want to enable the TearFree option in your xorg config as a starting point. I’ll bet the Arch wiki has material on this topic (though I haven’t looked myself).

In Wayland this should be a non-issue, but you get other issues as a consequence…

4 Likes

Thanks @Brett_Kosinski for the tip
I found the arch wiki had an entry for tearing under troubleshooting, you can find it here
it seems to have fixed my issue, I’ll give an update in a while after I’ve tested for a little longer.

3 Likes

That also fixed it for me: after installing xf86-video-intel and filling the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf with:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel Graphics"
  Driver "intel"
EndSection

All screen tearing was resolved. Silky smooth now.

1 Like