Strange voice from laptop

OK, thats an interesting subject line… But it is the problem. I take my FW16 with me all the time so I can do work. It sits in the laptop compartment of my bag, which is sometimes fairly full and thrown on my back. At that point that laptop lid is closed which should put it in the suspend state. Its running Ubuntu 24.

Every so often as the bag is jostled on the back I hear some voice out of the laptop. Turns out that voice is the accessibility reader getting turned on and reading what is on my lock screen. I have to turn the reader off. So, questions:

• With the lid closed, why is the laptop even awake?
  • How is the accessibility reader being turned on? I’m guessing the laptop is getting compressed and the keys are being pressed. But how could that happen? Is it fixable?

Thanks!

This thread might help.
I wrote a script to disable wakeup from keyboard or trackpad, so only the power button wakes it up.
It seems to fix problem like the ones you are seeing.

2 Likes

control-windows-Enter turns narrator on and off

Is there a way to see what is causing it to wake up? I would love it to be “keyboard and trackpad disabled if lid closed”.

In theory… if the lid is closed the power can be on. I would just have to have external keyboard and monitor. But if I don’t have that, it should be shut down. Is that not how Linux works?

"board and trackpad disabled if lid closed” would be a sensible thing to happen, but this does not currently happen on the FW16 so people like me have come up with workarounds to mitigate the problem.

@James3 , thanks… Yeah… This would be a nice feature… How do we ask the folks at Framework to fix this in firmware?

Maybe it’s just possessed? :smile:

1 Like

My girlfriend and her daughter thought so!